April 23, 2014 10:00 pm — The AAFP's Robert Graham Center for Policy Studies in Family Medicine and Primary Care recently published a one-page policy brief that looked at the projected impact of the Primary Care Residency Expansion program on the number and distribution of new primary care physicians. One key finding: Federal dollars invested in family medicine residencies paid off in terms of physicians practicing primary care in areas of need.Full Story »
Physician Education & Development
Recent Physician Education & Development Stories
04/15/2014 — In mid-March, the Accreditation Council for Graduate Medical Education announced to the graduate medical education community that preliminary work had begun on two national multicenter trials designed to investigate the impact of resident duty hour limits instituted in 2011.
03/21/2014 — Following an anxious week of waiting, graduating medical students today learned the results of the 2014 National Resident Matching Program, commonly referred to as the Match. Those results spotlight a positive trend for family medicine: For the fifth straight year, the number of medical students choosing family medicine ticked higher than the previous year.
03/21/2014 — The AAFP recently released a policy document that outlines how the nation could resolve its chronic shortage of family physicians by implementing targeted policies that value primary care. The revised policy paper, titled "Family Physician Workforce Reform: Recommendations of the American Academy of Family Physicians," lays out a strategic plan on how to increase the annual production of new family physicians by an average of about 65 physicians each year through 2025.
Chapter Spotlight Series
More Physician Education & Development News
- 03/20/2014 — Team-based Education Helps Fulfill PCMH Promise
- 02/28/2014 — M.D.s, D.O.s Back Move to One Accreditation System
- 02/26/2014 — Family Medicine Is Tops in Osteopathic Match
- 02/18/2014 — Primary Care Students Focus on Team-based Training
- 01/29/2014 — Panel: Support for Rural Training Must Continue
- 01/15/2014 — NHSC 2014 Application Period Now Open
- 11/27/2013 — GME Funding Inequities Are Focus of Research
- 11/20/2013 — Family Physicians Settle Close to Training Sites
- 11/19/2013 — Study: More Medical Schools Not Answer for Patient Access
- 11/19/2013 — Train More Residents in Safety-net Settings, Says Study
- 10/15/2013 — Not Enough Physicians Entering Primary Care