March 12, 2014 12:22 pm — After the U.S. House and Senate received wide praise for introducing legislation that would repeal the controversial sustainable growth rate formula for Medicare payment, passage of the bill now is in jeopardy because of partisan disagreements about how to finance the cost of repeal.Full Story »
Government & Medicine
Recent Government & Medicine Stories
03/10/2014 — President Obama released his 2015 proposed federal budget last week. The budget met a significant number of AAFP goals for the future, prompting the Academy to support funding requests in the budget, including programs to encourage medical students to enter family medicine and to improve the quality of family medicine practices.
03/07/2014 — The AAFP takes every opportunity to remind CMS of the value of primary care for all Americans and the Academy's commitment to its own "Health Care for All" policy. Case in point, the AAFP recently was made aware of draft letter published online by CMS for the benefit of "issuers" or those entities looking to offer qualified health insurance plans in a federally facilitated marketplace in 2015.
02/26/2014 — Dozens of physician, hospital, health information technology and other stakeholder organizations that are invested in their members' successful completion of CMS' Medicare and Medicaid electronic health record incentive programs took a united stand recently in asking HHS to modify program requirements and timelines.
Talk With Leaders
More Government & Medicine News
- 02/25/2014 — AAFP Asking Members to Speak Out on SGR Legislation
- 02/19/2014 — AAFP Comes Out in Support of SGR Repeal Legislation
- 02/18/2014 — CMS Establishes Deadlines for Open Payments Law
- 02/12/2014 — CMS Grants One-Month Extension on Meaningful Use Deadline
- 02/11/2014 — HHS Adopts Rule Expanding Patient Access to Test Results
- 02/04/2014 — AAFP Urges CMS to Review, Correct Misvalued CPT Codes
- 01/22/2014 — CMS to Release Payment Data on Case-by-Case Basis
- 01/15/2014 — Mental Health Parity Should Cover Children, Says AAFP
- 01/08/2014 — Restricting Firearms for Mental Health Patients Moves Forward
- 12/31/2013 — AAFP Supports FDA Preliminary Determination on Trans Fat
- 12/18/2013 — Congress is Moving Closer to SGR Repeal