April 23, 2014 09:09 am — Have you checked your mailbox lately? The AAFP has mailed laminated copies of the 2014 immunization schedules and other helpful resources to all active and resident members. In addition to the full-color schedules, the packet includes a number of documents aimed at helping family physicians stay up-to-date on vaccine-related issues.Full Story »
Health of the Public
Recent Health of the Public Stories
04/21/2014 — On April 4, the Academy convened a number of tobacco-prevention stakeholders from both the public and private sectors to participate in an AAFP Youth & Tobacco Prevention Summit in Washington. According to Julie Wood, M.D., AAFP vice president of health of the public and science and interprofessional activities, the event was designed to meet two primary goals.
04/15/2014 — The American Society of Cataract and Refractive Surgery and the American Academy of Ophthalmology have issued an educational update about cataract surgery complications associated with use of systemic alpha blockers. According to a joint news release from the organizations, the update is being released in concert with two studies published this month.
04/09/2014 — Recently, HHS' Million Hearts initiative recognized nine public and private medical practices and health systems across the United States for achieving excellent rates of high blood pressure control. Solo family physician Jen Brull, M.D., of Plainville, Kan., was on that list.
Talk With Leaders
More Health of the Public News
- 04/02/2014 — Behavioral Health Should Be Integral Part of PCMH
- 03/31/2014 — AAFP Urges HHS to Clarify ACA's Tobacco-cessation Benefit
- 03/26/2014 — Connecting Primary Care, Public Health Is Focus of Playbook
- 03/19/2014 — LAIV, PCV13 Among Topics at Recent ACIP Meeting
- 03/19/2014 — Peer Support Networks Can Be a Healthy Supplement to Physician Practices
- 03/12/2014 — Results Positive for 2013 Office Champions Tobacco Cessation Project
- 03/10/2014 — MC-FP Improves Patient Care, Study Suggests
- 03/05/2014 — Prescribing, Dispensing Controlled Substances Focus of Consensus Document
- 02/26/2014 — AAFP, USPSTF Make Recommendations on Multivitamin Use to Prevent Cancer, CVD
- 02/23/2014 — Boost Your Knowledge of Vaccine Science, Policy
- 02/19/2014 — 2014 Immunization Schedules Include Few Big Changes