April 15, 2014 02:54 pm — The American Society of Cataract and Refractive Surgery and the American Academy of Ophthalmology have issued an educational update about cataract surgery complications associated with use of systemic alpha blockers. According to a joint news release from the organizations, the update is being released in concert with two studies published this month.Full Story »
Health of the Public
Recent Health of the Public Stories
04/09/2014 — Recently, HHS' Million Hearts initiative recognized nine public and private medical practices and health systems across the United States for achieving excellent rates of high blood pressure control. Solo family physician Jen Brull, M.D., of Plainville, Kan., was on that list.
04/02/2014 — The AAFP recently joined five other national family medicine organizations to release "Joint Principles: Integrating Behavioral Health Care Into the Patient-Centered Medical Home." Published in the March/April Annals of Family Medicine, the new document complements the Joint Principles of the Patient-Centered Medical Home (PCMH) and was created to address bringing behavioral health into the PCMH model.
03/31/2014 — Last month, the AAFP joined more than 30 other health care organizations in sending a letter to HHS Secretary Kathleen Sebelius asking her to provide clear guidance to insurers on the tobacco-cessation benefits that must be offered in accordance with the Patient Protection and Affordable Care Act.
Talk With Leaders
More Health of the Public News
- 03/26/2014 — Connecting Primary Care, Public Health Is Focus of Playbook
- 03/19/2014 — LAIV, PCV13 Among Topics at Recent ACIP Meeting
- 03/19/2014 — Peer Support Networks Can Be a Healthy Supplement to Physician Practices
- 03/12/2014 — Results Positive for 2013 Office Champions Tobacco Cessation Project
- 03/10/2014 — MC-FP Improves Patient Care, Study Suggests
- 03/05/2014 — Prescribing, Dispensing Controlled Substances Focus of Consensus Document
- 02/26/2014 — AAFP, USPSTF Make Recommendations on Multivitamin Use to Prevent Cancer, CVD
- 02/23/2014 — Boost Your Knowledge of Vaccine Science, Policy
- 02/19/2014 — 2014 Immunization Schedules Include Few Big Changes
- 02/12/2014 — AAFP, Other Groups Urge Physicians to Recommend HPV Vaccine
- 02/04/2014 — Immunize Pregnant Women Against Flu, Says AAFP