March 05, 2014 03:59 pm — In February, the AAFP joined a coalition of health industry stakeholders in issuing a consensus statement that outlines collaborative steps the groups will take to ensure the delivery of responsible and effective patient care when it comes to prescribing and dispensing controlled substances.Full Story »
Health of the Public
Recent Health of the Public Stories
02/26/2014 — The AAFP has said it concurs with a Feb. 24 recommendation from the U.S. Preventive Services Task Force (USPSTF) against using beta-carotene or vitamin E supplements to prevent cardiovascular disease (CVD) or cancer. AAFP also agrees with the USPSTF that evidence currently is insufficient to assess the balance of benefits and harms of using multivitamins or single- or paired-nutrient supplements (with the exception of beta-carotene and vitamin E) for the prevention of these conditions.
02/23/2014 — Arguably, vaccines represent one of the most significant advances ever made in medicine -- certainly in preventive medicine. If you're an avid immunizer, a public health aficionado, an emerging health policy expert, or any combination of these, the AAFP has an opportunity that just may be tailor-made for you.
02/19/2014 — Among the changes affecting the newly released 2014 recommended immunizations schedules, perhaps one of the biggest is what family physicians won't see this year. For the first time, the familiar figures, footnotes and tables have not been published in full in the CDC's Morbidity and Mortality Weekly Report. Instead, electronic versions of the schedules have been posted to the Vaccines and Immunizations section of the CDC website so they can be swiftly revised if errors or omissions are discovered.
Talk With Leaders
More Health of the Public News
- 02/12/2014 — AAFP, Other Groups Urge Physicians to Recommend HPV Vaccine
- 02/04/2014 — Immunize Pregnant Women Against Flu, Says AAFP
- 01/13/2014 — AAFP: Evidence Lacking on CT Lung Cancer Screening
- 01/10/2014 — Georgia AFP, State Health Department Work Together
- 01/08/2014 — ADHD Prevalence on the Rise, Survey Finds
- 01/08/2014 — Many Children Receiving Too Much or Too Little Care
- 12/21/2013 — Merck Recalls One Lot of Its Quadrivalent HPV Vaccine
- 12/18/2013 — New, Evidence-based Hypertension Guideline Released
- 12/17/2013 — FDA Seeking Data on OTC Antibacterial Soaps, Washes
- 12/04/2013 — Ongoing Meningococcal Disease Outbreaks Prompt CDC Advisory
- 11/27/2013 — FDA Drops Previous Restrictions Imposed on Rosiglitazone