July 27, 2016 07:13 pm — The FDA has upped the stakes when it comes to cautioning prescribers and patients about the possibility of serious adverse effects of systemic fluoroquinolones, strengthening the drugs' boxed warning to severely limit their use.Full Story »
Health of the Public
Recent Health of the Public Stories
07/26/2016 — On July 21, CMS announced the names of 516 practices -- including scores of family medicine offices -- that will participate in its Million Hearts Cardiovascular Disease Risk Reduction Model.
07/20/2016 — This past week marked a couple of Zika firsts: the first case of Zika virus infection transmitted via an unknown route and the first case of confirmed female-to-male transmission.
07/13/2016 — The Academy's second class of tobacco and nicotine prevention and control mini-grant recipients found innovative ways to control tobacco use at the state and local levels.
07/06/2016 — On June 28, the U.S. Preventive Services Task Force posted a draft recommendation statement and draft evidence review on screening asymptomatic, nonpregnant women for gynecologic conditions using pelvic exams.
More Health of the Public News
- 07/05/2016 — AAFP Supports HHS in Fight Against Antibiotic-resistant Bacteria
- 06/29/2016 — ACIP Recommends MenACWY-D for HIV-infected Patients, Cholera Vaccine
- 06/29/2016 — AAFP Offers Free COPD, Asthma Resources for Physicians, Patients
- 06/27/2016 — CDC Warns of Multistate Outbreak of Burkholderia cepacia Infection
- 06/23/2016 — ACIP: Don't Use LAIV During 2016-17 Flu Season
- 06/22/2016 — USPSTF: Screen Adults Ages 50-75 for Colorectal Cancer
- 06/20/2016 — USPSTF: More Research Needed on Screening for Obstructive Sleep Apnea
- 06/14/2016 — AAFP Teams With FDA on Pregnancy, Lactation Labeling Rule Video
- 06/13/2016 — Academy Delivers New Opioid Toolkit, CME to Equip Members
- 06/13/2016 — Despite Strides Made, Mental Health Care Needs More Support