March 10, 2014 05:17 pm — Data from a recently published study conducted by the AAFP National Research Network suggest that the American Board of Family Medicine Maintenance of Certification for Family Physicians program -- specifically, the self-assessment (Part II) and performance-in-practice (Part IV) modules -- have a positive influence on quality of care.Full Story »
Health of the Public
Recent Health of the Public Stories
03/05/2014 — In February, the AAFP joined a coalition of health industry stakeholders in issuing a consensus statement that outlines collaborative steps the groups will take to ensure the delivery of responsible and effective patient care when it comes to prescribing and dispensing controlled substances.
02/26/2014 — The AAFP has said it concurs with a Feb. 24 recommendation from the U.S. Preventive Services Task Force (USPSTF) against using beta-carotene or vitamin E supplements to prevent cardiovascular disease (CVD) or cancer. AAFP also agrees with the USPSTF that evidence currently is insufficient to assess the balance of benefits and harms of using multivitamins or single- or paired-nutrient supplements (with the exception of beta-carotene and vitamin E) for the prevention of these conditions.
02/23/2014 — Arguably, vaccines represent one of the most significant advances ever made in medicine -- certainly in preventive medicine. If you're an avid immunizer, a public health aficionado, an emerging health policy expert, or any combination of these, the AAFP has an opportunity that just may be tailor-made for you.
Talk With Leaders
More Health of the Public News
- 02/19/2014 — 2014 Immunization Schedules Include Few Big Changes
- 02/12/2014 — AAFP, Other Groups Urge Physicians to Recommend HPV Vaccine
- 02/04/2014 — Immunize Pregnant Women Against Flu, Says AAFP
- 01/13/2014 — AAFP: Evidence Lacking on CT Lung Cancer Screening
- 01/10/2014 — Georgia AFP, State Health Department Work Together
- 01/08/2014 — ADHD Prevalence on the Rise, Survey Finds
- 01/08/2014 — Many Children Receiving Too Much or Too Little Care
- 12/21/2013 — Merck Recalls One Lot of Its Quadrivalent HPV Vaccine
- 12/18/2013 — New, Evidence-based Hypertension Guideline Released
- 12/17/2013 — FDA Seeking Data on OTC Antibacterial Soaps, Washes
- 12/04/2013 — Ongoing Meningococcal Disease Outbreaks Prompt CDC Advisory