The AAFP has announced that applications are now being accepted for the Academy's 2015-2016 tobacco prevention and control mini-grants. These grants are available to chapters and family medicine residency programs that are accredited by the Accreditation Council for Graduate Medical Education for customizable efforts to promote healthy interventions to prevent and treat tobacco use and nicotine dependence at the state and local levels.
Grants will be awarded to 10 recipients for the implementation of action plans that use evidence-based interventions to achieve goals with measurable outcomes in one of three key focus areas: office-based tools, community engagement or advocacy.
The AAFP Tobacco Prevention and Control Advisory Committee will review applications and select the recipients, who will each receive $4,000 to cover administrative costs associated with the grant project: $2,000 to cover project startup costs and another $2,000 after the project is completed and a final report has been submitted to the Academy.
The grants are made possible with support from the AAFP Foundation.
Key Tobacco Mini-grant Dates
- Application deadline: Sept. 1
- Initial grant payment of $2,000: Oct. 15
- Project period: Nov. 1-April 30, 2016
- Final report due to AAFP: May 15, 2016
- Final grant payment of $2,000: May 31, 2016
How to Apply
Applications are due by Sept. 1. By completing the application process, applicants agree to finish their projects by April 30, 2016, and provide a final report by May 15, 2016.
Before submitting an application, those interested in applying should complete a three-step process:
- Review the list of potential action plan ideas for the 2015-2016 mini-grants.
- Have all materials and information below ready to submit:
- Title of project
- Chapter/residency name
- Name of lead contact for grant
- Contact information
- Statistics regarding the prevalence of tobacco use in your state/county and reference(s) for this data
- Marketing description of project (50 words)
- Letter of interest (1 page)*
- Key focus area action plan with goals*
- Simple budget of expenses*
*These three items must be included in one PDF or Word document that is to be uploaded during the application process.
- Submit the application. Note that the system requires users to complete their application in a single session; users will not be able to save their work and return to it later, so be sure to complete steps 1 and 2 before beginning the application process.
Applicants with any questions may contact Ashley Poole, AAFP global population health specialist, at email@example.com or (800) 274-2237, ext. 3140.
Related AAFP News Coverage
AAFP Tobacco Control Mini-grant Recipients Kick Butts
Funding Helps Spread Anti-Tobacco, Nicotine Messages