January 28, 2014 11:32 am — In April 2012, the AAFP joined eight other medical specialty organizations in signing on to the Choosing Wisely campaign, a national initiative spearheaded by the American Board of Internal Medicine Foundation and designed to improve patient care while reducing possible harms from unnecessary tests and procedures.Full Story »
Inside the Academy
Recent Inside the Academy Stories
01/22/2014 — As family medicine continues the process of examining the challenges and opportunities that face the specialty today and defining a path forward in the context of a rapidly changing health care landscape, your voice is keenly important. An upcoming series of virtual town hall meetings being convened as part of the Family Medicine for America's Health: Future of Family Medicine 2.0 project will give you a chance to add your voice to this crucial discussion.
01/07/2014 — If you haven't made a new year's resolution yet, here's one you might want to think about: Make sure your patients get all the new preventive services they're entitled to under the Patient Protection and Affordable Care Act. As of Jan. 1, the ACA requires insurance plans to cover a wide range of clinical preventive services without any cost-sharing measures, such as copays or coinsurance.
12/11/2013 — The AAFP National Research Network is recruiting practices to participate in a research project designed to evaluate a patient-centered, shared decision-making intervention that involves managing menopausal symptoms in women ages 45-65. The project is slated to include 12 primary care practices that use an electronic health record system and have a wireless Internet connection patients can readily access.
Chapter Spotlight Series
More Inside the Academy News
- 12/09/2013 — AAFP Launches Enhanced Website Security System
- 12/04/2013 — Program Encourages Minority Students to Enter Family Medicine
- 11/30/2013 — AAFP Issues 2012-13 Financial Statement
- 11/12/2013 — Wide Range of Issues Discussed at 2013 State Legislative Conference
- 11/12/2013 — Novel Medical Malpractice Model Outlined at State Legislative Conference
- 11/08/2013 — FP Wants to Revamp Health Care Delivery
- 11/04/2013 — ALSO Program Celebrates 20th Anniversary
- 10/25/2013 — AAFP NRN Oral Health Study Seeks Family Physicians to Participate
- 10/23/2013 — Enhanced AAFP.org Security System Scheduled to Launch Next Week
- 10/23/2013 — New Mapping Tools Help Quantify Patient Info
- 10/14/2013 — AAFP Offers Clinical Practice Guideline Development Webcasts