For many AAFP members, their schedules will not permit them to attend the AAFP Congress of Delegates next week. But now all AAFP members can keep up with the action via live streaming video of the COD business sessions from Orlando, Fla.
The Academy first tried live streaming during the AAFP Scientific Assembly Opening Ceremony last year, and nearly 400 AAFP members participated in the live event. The expansion of live streaming to the business sessions of the Congress arose out of a resolution adopted during last year's COD. Resolution No. 213, "Streaming Media to Improve Participation in National Meetings," asked the AAFP to investigate the feasibility and cost of providing streaming media of the business sessions of national meetings.
After investigating several options, the AAFP determined that live streaming the Congress business sessions, as well as elements of the Assembly Opening Session, would be feasible. Thus, the Academy is live streaming:
- COD - Session 1 -- 7:30-9:45 a.m. EDT on Monday, Sept. 12. This session will include reports of the officers and commissions and introduction of late resolutions.
- COD - Session 2 -- 9-11:30 a.m. EDT on Tuesday, Sept. 13. This session will include remarks from guests and the Director Candidates' Forum, during which candidates for AAFP Director will address the delegates, as well as a question-and-answer session with those candidates.
- COD - Session 3 -- 1-2:30 p.m. EDT and 2:45-5 p.m. EDT on Tuesday, Sept. 13. This session will include award presentations, a Candidates' Forum for AAFP officer candidates and a report from the Reference Committee on Organization and Finance. The second part of this session will include reports from the Reference Committees on Advocacy, Practice Enhancement, Health of the Public and Science, and Education.
- COD - Session 4 -- 9 a.m.-noon EDT on Wednesday, Sept. 14. This session will include award presentations, guest remarks, installation of the new AAFP President Glen Stream, M.D., M.B.I., and AAFP election results.
- Elements of the Opening Ceremony for the AAFP Assembly -- 3-4:30 p.m. on Wednesday, Sept. 14 -- including the 2011 Family Physician of the Year and remarks from Stream.
For members who cannot watch the live streaming events, the AAFP also is planning to archive the footage, along with video from the AAFP Town Hall meeting, an informal event that occurs on Sunday, Sept. 11. During the Town Hall, Academy leaders and delegates will discuss member concerns, including payment issues and issues common among distressed practice environments.
Video segments of the keynote address by Irish tenor and physician Ronan Tynan also will be archived. Archived videos will begin to be posted on Sept. 12.