March 07, 2017 01:39 pm — The HHS Office of the Inspector General's early review of the Quality Payment Program implementation highlighted key points that CMS must get right.Full Story »
MACRA: The Medicare Access and CHIP Reauthorization Act
The Medicare Access and CHIP Reauthorization Act (MACRA) that was signed into law in April 2015 is setting up groundbreaking changes to the way physicians are paid by Medicare.
For starters, the act permanently repealed the hopelessly flawed sustainable growth rate formula, preventing a 21 percent cut to Medicare reimbursement rates. But it also extends the Children’s Health Insurance Program (CHIP) for two years and sets up a new, two-track Medicare physician payment system that emphasizes value-based payment models.
The AAFP is pulling no punches to make sure family physicians are poised to make the most of this new era of value-based payment -- working in Washington to show legislators and regulators how the law can best support primary care, while at the same time showing individual family physicians the concrete steps they can take to succeed in MACRA's new payment and quality reporting framework.
Keep an eye on AAFP News for timely updates about how the AAFP is flexing its muscles to shape MACRA into a tool that properly compensates family physicians for what they do better than anyone else -- provide high-quality, comprehensive, compassionate care for their patients.
Recent MACRA Ready News
03/01/2017 — A total of 11 organizations will split $20 million in funding from CMS to help small and rural practices succeed in the Quality Payment Program.
02/24/2017 — Incorporating the Medicare annual wellness visit into the overall care picture is good for Medicare patients, helps achieve quality measures and earns new practice revenue.
01/31/2017 — An article in the current issue of Family Practice Management can help physicians get started on the road to value-based payment.
01/27/2017 — Learn how to get started in the Merit-based Incentive Payment System with a free CMS webinar presented on Feb. 1.
Be MACRA Ready
More MACRA Ready Content
- 01/18/2017 — Free CMS Webinar Aims to Ease Move to Quality Payment Program
- 01/17/2017 — AAFP Insists CMS Ease FPs' Administrative Burden
- 01/04/2017 — Sign Up for 2017 CMS Study, Earn MIPS Credit
- 12/21/2016 — Academy Presents Advanced APM for Primary Care
- 12/20/2016 — AAFP Continues Rigorous Oversight of New Payment Model Details
- 12/19/2016 — Incentive Payment Designs Need Fine-tuning, Say Panelists
- 12/12/2016 — Arkansas Program Illustrates Promise of Practice Transformation
- 12/06/2016 — AAFP Helps Fine-tune Primary Care Payment Models
- 11/30/2016 — CMS Updates Quality Payment Program Website to Enable Data-sharing
- 11/16/2016 — FP Credits CPC Initiative With Practice Turnaround