MACRA: The Medicare Access and CHIP Reauthorization Act
The Medicare Access and CHIP Reauthorization Act (MACRA) that was signed into law in April 2015 is setting up groundbreaking changes to the way physicians are paid by Medicare.
For starters, the act permanently repealed the hopelessly flawed sustainable growth rate formula, preventing a 21 percent cut to Medicare reimbursement rates. But it also extends the Children’s Health Insurance Program (CHIP) for two years and sets up a new, two-track Medicare physician payment system that emphasizes value-based payment models.
The AAFP is pulling no punches to make sure family physicians are poised to make the most of this new era of value-based payment -- working in Washington to show legislators and regulators how the law can best support primary care, while at the same time showing individual family physicians the concrete steps they can take to succeed in MACRA's new payment and quality reporting framework.
Keep an eye on AAFP News for timely updates about how the AAFP is flexing its muscles to shape MACRA into a tool that properly compensates family physicians for what they do better than anyone else -- provide high-quality, comprehensive, compassionate care for their patients.
Recent MACRA Ready News
05/04/2017 — The AAFP recently weighed in on effective ways for CMS to develop cost measures that are based on care episode and patient condition groups.
04/27/2017 — The AAFP urged CMS to immediately simplify the Medicare Access and CHIP Reauthorization Act by eliminating some implementation components and modifying others.
04/26/2017 — Three new resources from CMS are designed to help physicians navigate the Merit-based Incentive Payment System implemented under the Medicare Access and CHIP Reauthorization Act.
04/24/2017 — The AAFP recently sent a proposal detailing its advanced primary care alternative payment model to the newly formed Physician-Focused Payment Model Technical Advisory Committee for review.
Be MACRA Ready
More MACRA Ready Content
- 04/18/2017 — Learn About Assuming Risk in Advanced Alternative Payment Models
- 04/13/2017 — Registration Deadline Coming; NCQA Revamps PCMH Recognition
- 04/05/2017 — Health Affairs Raises MACRA Implementation Awareness, Questions
- 03/07/2017 — Quality Payment Program Early Review Shows Progress, Pitfalls
- 03/01/2017 — CMS Names First 11 Support Organizations to Share $20 Million
- 02/24/2017 — AWV Uncorks New Revenue Stream, Improves Health Care Quality
- 01/31/2017 — Don't Miss This Value-based Payment Primer From FPM
- 01/27/2017 — Need Help Starting in the Merit-based Incentive Payment System?
- 01/18/2017 — Free CMS Webinar Aims to Ease Move to Quality Payment Program
- 01/17/2017 — AAFP Insists CMS Ease FPs' Administrative Burden