August 23, 2017 10:35 am — A free member resource guides family physicians through the Merit-based Incentive Payment System and is approved for up to 5.0 AAFP Prescribed credits.Full Story »
MACRA: The Medicare Access and CHIP Reauthorization Act
The Medicare Access and CHIP Reauthorization Act (MACRA) that was signed into law in April 2015 is setting up groundbreaking changes to the way physicians are paid by Medicare.
For starters, the act permanently repealed the hopelessly flawed sustainable growth rate formula, preventing a 21 percent cut to Medicare reimbursement rates. But it also extends the Children’s Health Insurance Program (CHIP) for two years and sets up a new, two-track Medicare physician payment system that emphasizes value-based payment models.
The AAFP is pulling no punches to make sure family physicians are poised to make the most of this new era of value-based payment -- working in Washington to show legislators and regulators how the law can best support primary care, while at the same time showing individual family physicians the concrete steps they can take to succeed in MACRA's new payment and quality reporting framework.
Keep an eye on AAFP News for timely updates about how the AAFP is flexing its muscles to shape MACRA into a tool that properly compensates family physicians for what they do better than anyone else -- provide high-quality, comprehensive, compassionate care for their patients.
Recent MACRA Ready News
08/15/2017 — Subscribing to CMS' Quality Payment Program listserv is a great way for family physicians to stay up-to-date on information that will affect their Medicare payment.
08/14/2017 — The AAFP is offering a wide range of activities, including a free webinar and a Twitter chat, to prepare family physicians for the Quality Payment Program.
08/09/2017 — An article in the July/August issue of Family Practice Management aims to help physicians maximize their success in the Quality Payment Program.
08/09/2017 — Physicians can now apply for a hardship exception related to their advancing care information performance category score for the 2017 transition year of CMS' Quality Payment Program.
Be MACRA Ready
More MACRA Ready Content
- 08/03/2017 — Gain Confidence in QPP Participation, Earn CME Credit
- 07/27/2017 — Get Paid for Providing Chronic Care Management Services
- 07/25/2017 — Don't Miss AAFP's Quality Payment Program Insert
- 06/27/2017 — AAFP Crafts QPP Executive Summary to Inform Family Physicians
- 06/21/2017 — First Look at Proposed Rule Shows Progress in Easing Burdens
- 06/15/2017 — Get Paid for Giving Feedback on CMS' QPP Website
- 06/13/2017 — Take Advantage of Free Technical Assistance for QPP
- 05/08/2017 — Look for MIPS Participation Status Letters in May
- 05/04/2017 — AAFP Tells CMS to Move Slowly on Proposed Episode of Care Groups
- 04/27/2017 — AAFP Presses CMS to Make MACRA Easier on Physicians