June 27, 2017 04:10 pm — The AAFP has created a two-page executive summary of CMS' lengthy proposed rule outlining updates to the 2018 Quality Payment Program.Full Story »
MACRA: The Medicare Access and CHIP Reauthorization Act
The Medicare Access and CHIP Reauthorization Act (MACRA) that was signed into law in April 2015 is setting up groundbreaking changes to the way physicians are paid by Medicare.
For starters, the act permanently repealed the hopelessly flawed sustainable growth rate formula, preventing a 21 percent cut to Medicare reimbursement rates. But it also extends the Children’s Health Insurance Program (CHIP) for two years and sets up a new, two-track Medicare physician payment system that emphasizes value-based payment models.
The AAFP is pulling no punches to make sure family physicians are poised to make the most of this new era of value-based payment -- working in Washington to show legislators and regulators how the law can best support primary care, while at the same time showing individual family physicians the concrete steps they can take to succeed in MACRA's new payment and quality reporting framework.
Keep an eye on AAFP News for timely updates about how the AAFP is flexing its muscles to shape MACRA into a tool that properly compensates family physicians for what they do better than anyone else -- provide high-quality, comprehensive, compassionate care for their patients.
Recent MACRA Ready News
06/21/2017 — CMS has released for public inspection a proposed rule that would make multiple changes in the Quality Payment Program for 2018.
06/13/2017 — Family physicians who are finding their way through Medicare's Quality Payment Program have several options for free technical support to help them succeed.
Be MACRA Ready
More MACRA Ready Content
- 05/04/2017 — AAFP Tells CMS to Move Slowly on Proposed Episode of Care Groups
- 04/27/2017 — AAFP Presses CMS to Make MACRA Easier on Physicians
- 04/26/2017 — New CMS Resources Aim to Guide Physicians Through MIPS
- 04/24/2017 — AAFP Accepts Challenge, Submits Primary Care-based Payment Proposal
- 04/18/2017 — Learn About Assuming Risk in Advanced Alternative Payment Models
- 04/13/2017 — Registration Deadline Coming; NCQA Revamps PCMH Recognition
- 04/05/2017 — Health Affairs Raises MACRA Implementation Awareness, Questions
- 03/07/2017 — Quality Payment Program Early Review Shows Progress, Pitfalls
- 03/01/2017 — CMS Names First 11 Support Organizations to Share $20 Million
- 02/24/2017 — AWV Uncorks New Revenue Stream, Improves Health Care Quality