April 23, 2014 01:43 pm — The AAFP recently unveiled a series of free online educational modules specifically designed to provide targeted financial training for practicing family physicians who operate as small business owners. According to AAFP data gathered through the end of 2013, nearly 34 percent of members fit this bill, describing themselves as shareholders in -- or sole or partial owners of -- their practices.Full Story »
Practice & Professional Issues
Recent Practice & Professional Issues Stories
04/16/2014 — The complexity of Medicare billing regulations can baffle even the most business-savvy family physician. So recently, when the AAFP and family physician members had questions regarding Medicare rules for billing "incident to" services, the Academy went straight to CMS Administrator Marilyn Tavenner, M.A., for answers.
04/16/2014 — Although it's tempting to think otherwise, planning for the transition to the ICD-10-CM code sets for outpatient diagnostic coding still should be at or near the top of family physicians' "to do" lists. That's the opening message participating physicians will hear during a free AAFP webinar titled "ICD-10: Get Started and Be Ready" that is scheduled for April 23 from 1-2 p.m. CDT.
04/11/2014 — On April 9, CMS announced that it had made public a data set of information that contains financial information -- including billing and Medicare payment details -- on some 880,000 physicians who were paid about $77 billion in 2012 for services provided to patients as part of the Medicare Part B fee-for-service program.
Talk With Leaders
More Practice & Professional Issues News
- 04/09/2014 — CMS Clarifies Electronic Funds Transfer Regulations
- 04/08/2014 — Care Continuity Equals Better Care, Lower Costs, Says Research
- 04/01/2014 — New Model Could be Road Map to Practice Transformation
- 03/28/2014 — House Votes to Delay ICD-10 Implementation for a Year
- 03/19/2014 — AAFP's PCMH Planner Has the Tools FPs Need
- 03/19/2014 — Avoid Coding Errors That Leave Money on the Table
- 03/13/2014 — Major Health Plans Preparing for ICD-10
- 03/12/2014 — Medical Home Pilot Findings Fall Short
- 03/05/2014 — AAFP, CDC Collaborate on App to Prevent GBS Disease
- 02/27/2014 — AAFP Questions ICD-10 Readiness, Testing
- 02/26/2014 — AAFP Letter Highlights Burden of Long Medicare Payment Appeals Process