Who we are
Founded in 1947, the American Academy of Family Physicians represents nearly 105,900 members.
- Only medical society devoted solely to primary care
- Third largest medical specialty society
- Accredited provider of continuing medical education (CME)
- Require 150 credits of CME to maintain membership
- A trusted source of CME for family physicians
Our goal is to enhance health care by supporting research and developing and providing resources for the promotion and support of family medicine, which in turn benefits the health care of all patients.
What makes family medicine unique
U.S. health care is increasingly fragmented as most medical specialties limit their practice scope. Family physicians are dedicated to treating the whole person across the full spectrum of ages. They treat each organ, every disease, all ages and both genders. Indeed, the cornerstone of family medicine is an ongoing, personal patient-physician relationship focused on integrated care and a personal medical home.