This was successfully posted to your pofile.
This box will close automatically in a few seconds. Close this window
We don't have an e-mail address on file for you. To use AAFP Connection, you must have an e-mail address in our records. Click Here
Post Approval Information
Once the CME Provider receives the official credit determination by e-mail from the AAFP. Upon AAFP approval of the CME activity, the CME Provider may publish the AAFP credit statement provided. See credit statements.
A. Term of approval is for one year from the date of the activity. It is important for an activity to be certified before the date of the activity to ensure AAFP members can report the appropriate AAFP CME credit.
In the instance of an activity with the same content repeated multiple times or series activities, approval is good for all activities held within one year from the date of the first offering.
CME Providers are required to update the AAFP application by logging in online, if additional dates/sites of this activity will take place. If the activity is continued for more than 12 months, a new application, review fee, and supporting information must be submitted for AAFP CME credit approval.
B. Approval of AAFP credit does not imply authorization to use the AAFP logo or name in any association with the activity, including activity materials, other than the authorized credit statement.
Other causes to withhold or withdraw CME credit include, but are not limited to:
- Portrayal of incorrect, inadequate, inappropriate, or incomplete clinical, scientific, medical/legal, socioeconomic or commercially biased information.
- Unethical distribution of material, such as offering the material as a prize or bonus for favors, inappropriate advertising which misrepresents the material or which inaccurately portrays the material, or misrepresentation of the CME credit which may be acquired by using the materials.
- Release of confidential information regarding any physician's participation in the activity or use of the material.
- Release of information regarding individual or aggregate scores or results of scores that may be obtained through tests taken by physicians participating in the activity or using the material.
- Inappropriate use of product-specific advertising.
F. There is a processing fee of $100 for any CME application that needs to be re-reviewed by AAFP after the CME provider receives official credit approval from AAFP. Re-review of an application is necessary when the CME credits of an activity change. For example, an application would be re-reviewed if the program agenda changed after approval. This fee does not apply if there are changes to the date of the activity or the speaker(s), or when any additional dates are added.
G. CME providers are not required to distribute certificates of participation to physicians who attend their activity. AAFP members may report their CME credit to AAFP without documentation online, or by calling 800-274-2237. However, physicians need certificates for state licensing and credentialing, and AAFP encourages CME Providers to provide a certificate. View a sample certificate (1-page Word file; About Downloading).
J. All documentation associated with activity development, including records verifying physician participation, should be retained for six years by the CME provider.
AAFP's CME Center: All CME activities approved for AAFP CME credit are listed automatically in the AAFP's CME Center. However, CME providers have the ability to opt out of listing their CME activities.
Membership List: CME providers may purchase the AAFP's membership list. Contact Kerry Tranfa with INFOCUS at 800-708-5478, ext. 3246, or email@example.com.
Ad Space: CME providers may purchase ad space in American Family Physician (AFP) journal. Contact Donna Kelley at 800-237-7027.