This was successfully posted to your pofile.
This box will close automatically in a few seconds. Close this window
We don't have an e-mail address on file for you. To use AAFP Connection, you must have an e-mail address in our records. Click Here
Point of Care CME
Because this is relevant, evidence-based continuing medical education that meets a physician’s specific learning needs, it is appropriate to award AAFP Prescribed credit for documented point of care learning activities.
AAFP will approve .5 Prescribed credits for every point of care learning activity that utilizes a point of care CME source and is delivered by an ACCME-accredited CME provider. There must be a mechanism, either from the source or from the CME provider, to document the following activity elements:
- The learner's question
- The search of an AAFP-approved source
- Implementation of new knowledge in practice
It is the ACCME-accredited provider's responsibility to ensure that the three parts of the point of care learning experience are properly documented. The AAFP allows members to claim up to 20 credits (40 documented point of care CME "inquiries" or "questions" awarded .5 Prescribed credits each) per year toward membership re-election.
CME Activity Approval
It is the responsibility of the CME provider to:
- Be an ACCME-accredited provider.
- Plan the educational activity in collaboration with and utilizing an AAFP-approved point of care source.
- Ensure that the CME activity properly documents the three required elements of the point of care learning activity (i.e., the clinical question, the search history and the implementation in practice).
- Involve an AAFP Active or Life member in the planning/review of the overall CME activity.
- Award learners .5 Prescribed credits per completed point of care learning activity.
- Evaluate the activity.
- Maintain participation records for six years.