TransforMED Practice Redesign Experts Lead the Way
TransforMED introduces a complete line of products and services
FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE
Thursday, December 18, 2008
(800) 274-2237, ext. 5222
LEAWOOD, Kan. – TransforMED LLC, a wholly-owned subsidiary of the American Academy of Family Physicians, today announced a line of products and services now available to primary care physicians seeking to transform their practices into patient-centered medical homes. TransforMED’s work to date has been limited to medical practices that participated in its two-year national demonstration project and select pilot projects. The launch of these products and services marks TransforMED’s first venture into the mainstream primary care community.
“TransforMED is now ‘open for business’ to primary care medical practices nationwide,” said Terry McGeeney, M.D., president and CEO of TransforMED. “We are pleased to roll out our initial product and service offerings, and we look forward to adding more offerings to assist practices in their medical home transformation efforts.”
TransforMED brings value to primary care practice redesign through a strategic transformation process based on the best available evidence and emerging learnings from its national demonstration project. The following products and services are now available to primary care practices nationwide. Pricing varies according to practice size and scope of work.
- Medical home facilitation led by TransforMED’s practice enhancement experts. The facilitation offers practices the option to work toward full transformation to a patient-centered medical home or to focus only on specific target areas, such as teamwork, leadership development or change management. Virtual facilitation via telephone, e-mail and Web-based communication is available to practices seeking a more flexible and economical option.
- Practice assessments are available to assist practices in identifying a baseline as it relates to TransforMED’s patient-centered medical home model. Practices will benefit from a combination of proprietary assessment and commercial evaluation tools administered by certified facilitators during onsite observations of workflows and staff interaction, as well as staff interviews and other data collection.
- Facilitated medical home retreats provide an opportunity for practices to experience time away from the office during which the entire staff meets off site to explore the practice’s strengths and opportunities for improvement. TransforMED experts will lead practice staff members through exercises in creative problem solving, conflict resolution, and communication barriers as they pertain to the work of the selected practice. The overall retreat aims to identify and minimize the roadblocks encountered in daily operations. Leadership retreats also are available.
- TransforMED’s Medical Home Marketplace is a free service that offers pre-negotiated savings on vendors’ products and services that support patient-centered medical home transformation. Products range from human resources, payroll and legal services to software solutions and bulk purchasing opportunities.
- TransforMED will soon offer a virtual Medical Home Network. The network will provide a low-cost, peer-to-peer learning opportunity for physicians, clinicians and practice managers dedicated to implementing the patient-centered medical home model of care. Members of the network can ask questions, obtain advice and share practical knowledge and experiences. Additionally, members of the Medical Home Network will have the opportunity to attend webinar courses on a variety of topics related to patient-centered medical home transformation. Physicians and practice managers also will gain access to downloadable, customizable policy and procedure forms and discounts on medical home facilitation services and retreats.
# # #
Leawood, Kan.-based TransforMED is a wholly owned subsidiary of the American Academy of Family Physicians (AAFP). Established in 2008, TransforMED LLC provides ongoing consultation and support to physicians looking to transform their practices to a new model of care that is based on the concept of a patient-centered personal medical home. TransforMED LLC is an active member of primary care communities and recognizes and supports the unique value that primary care offers to patients and the health care system. TransforMED LLC shares and supports the idealism and altruism of primary care physicians and the strong commitment to their communities and patients through continuing patient relationships and independent decision making. TransforMED LLC offers practices both products and services, including consultation and advice on implementing the new model. To learn more about TransforMED LLC, visit www.transformed.com.
Founded in 1947, the AAFP represents 110,600 physicians and medical students nationwide. It is the only medical society devoted solely to primary care.
Approximately one in four of all office visits are made to family physicians. That is 240 million office visits each year — nearly 87 million more than the next largest medical specialty. Today, family physicians provide more care for America’s underserved and rural populations than any other medical specialty. Family medicine’s cornerstone is an ongoing, personal patient-physician relationship focused on integrated care.
To learn more about the specialty of family medicine, the AAFP's positions on issues and clinical care, and for downloadable multi-media highlighting family medicine, visit www.aafp.org/media. For information about health care, health conditions and wellness, please visit the AAFP’s award-winning consumer website, www.FamilyDoctor.org.