This was successfully posted to your pofile.
This box will close automatically in a few seconds. Close this window
We don't have an e-mail address on file for you. To use AAFP Connection, you must have an e-mail address in our records. Click Here
Family Medicine Gains 101 U.S. Medical School Graduates in 2010 Residency Match
FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE
Thursday, March 18, 2010
American Academy of Family Physicians
(800) 274-2237, Ext. 5224
The total number of students choosing family medicine — which includes U.S. medical school graduates and international medical graduates — was 2,404, putting this year’s “fill rate” at 91.4 percent, a record for family medicine. Moreover, family medicine residency programs offered an additional 75 positions this year.
Both increases suggest an upswing in interest among U.S. medical school graduates, according to Lori Heim, M.D., president of the American Academy of Family Physicians.
“We are very pleased with this year’s Match,” said Heim. “This could signal a turn-around that we’re hoping will continue. But much of that depends on whether we see meaningful reforms in the way health care is delivered to the patient.”
Heim attributed the Match results to growing awareness of family physicians’ importance in patient care and a greater appreciation for the role they will play in a reformed health care system.
“I think primary care medicine became much more visible in the debate about health care reform,” she said. “In virtually every discussion about improving the quality of care, people pointed to the need to rebalance our system on a foundation of primary medical care. Add in the heightened awareness of the patient-centered medical home, and students began to understand that family physicians will be able to practice the kind of medicine they envisioned when they decided to become a doctor.”
Currently, primary care physicians comprise 30 percent of the U.S. physician workforce. Subspecialists make up the other 70 percent. However, research repeatedly demonstrates that primary care physicians comprise half of the physician workforce in efficient, high-quality systems. Thus, lagging medical student interest in primary care since 1999 has caused concern. Over the past decade, the number of U.S. medical school graduate going into family medicine has plummeted by 52 percent. Since 2006, studies have pointed to a worsening shortage of family physicians and other primary care doctors.
“If we’re going to close the primary care physician gap, we need to graduate twice as many family physicians as we are now graduating,” said Heim. “This year’s Match results are a step in the right direction. They demonstrate a shift in interest in primary care physician careers.
“We need to maintain this momentum, and we can if we move away from a system that emphasizes payment for sickness care toward a system that emphasizes prevention, wellness and coordinated care. Many of the provisions in health care reform move us in that direction, so we could be seeing the beginning of a trend in student interest.”
# # #
Founded in 1947, the AAFP represents 110,600 physicians and medical students nationwide. It is the only medical society devoted solely to primary care.
Approximately one in four of all office visits are made to family physicians. That is 240 million office visits each year — nearly 87 million more than the next largest medical specialty. Today, family physicians provide more care for America’s underserved and rural populations than any other medical specialty. Family medicine’s cornerstone is an ongoing, personal patient-physician relationship focused on integrated care.
To learn more about the specialty of family medicine, the AAFP's positions on issues and clinical care, and for downloadable multi-media highlighting family medicine, visit www.aafp.org/media. For information about health care, health conditions and wellness, please visit the AAFP’s award-winning consumer website, www.FamilyDoctor.org.
Browse by Topic