This was successfully posted to your pofile.
This box will close automatically in a few seconds. Close this window
We don't have an e-mail address on file for you. To use AAFP Connection, you must have an e-mail address in our records. Click Here
- Decision-making authority
- A survey and call tracking log
- Multiple paper copies of the survey
- Staff and time to analyze data (1 to 2 people; 4 to 8 hours)
- How to get paid for communicating with patients via email (FPM article).
- How to determine practice and patient readiness (FPM article).
Field the survey
Measure current call volume
Analyze the data and decide
- Is the number of patients who say they'd like to communicate with the practice via email compelling?
- How about the amount of time staff currently spend returning missed calls and placing unanswered calls?
- If enough of this staff time could be spent on more meaningful tasks, would setting up email with patients be worth your investment of time and money?
- Are you and your staff ready to undertake this project?
What You'll Need
As with the survey, you can create your own call tracking sheet, or download this Excel sheet (1-page PDF file; About PDFs).
Where to go for help
For an in-depth look at how one practice conducted a readiness assessment, read FPM's article "Are Your Patients Ready for Electronic Communication?"
This Patient-Centered Medical Home section of the AAFP web site was supported in part by a grant from Merck & Co.