This was successfully posted to your pofile.
This box will close automatically in a few seconds. Close this window
We don't have an e-mail address on file for you. To use AAFP Connection, you must have an e-mail address in our records. Click Here
Sustainable Growth Rate (SGR) and Medicaid Increase
- Offering coverage is only half of the promise. Ensuring newly covered individuals have access to health care professionals is equally important. Many primary care physicians do not participate in the Medicaid program due to poor payment policies that, historically, are well below the actual costs of providing care.
- Investments in primary care are a priority of all health care systems. Both public and private health care systems are placing an emphasis on creating health care delivery models that are built on a foundation of accessible, high quality primary care
- A key to creating this primary care foundation is aligning payment policies with coverage delivery policies.
- The Medicaid payment parity provision is consistent with policies currently in place within the Medicare program, as well as numerous private insurance plans.
- Read more from AAFP's Medicaid Increase Fact Sheet (2 -page PDF; About PDFs)
- View an infographic of the potential impact of 2013 Medicare payment cuts (1 -page PDF; About PDFs)
AAFP Response to the SGR Proposal (*PDF file)