This was successfully posted to your pofile.
This box will close automatically in a few seconds. Close this window
We don't have an e-mail address on file for you. To use AAFP Connection, you must have an e-mail address in our records. Click Here
The Patient Protection and Affordable Care Act
U.S. Supreme Court Decision on PPACA
Reaction from AAFP President, Glen Stream, MD, MBI
AAFP news coverage of the decision
- guarantees coverage and expands access to health care for 32 million more Americans;
- helps shift the United States toward a health care delivery system based on primary care by, among other things, increasing payment for primary care services;
- advances the principles of the patient-centered medical home,
- invests in training more family physicians, and
- eliminates many of the worst practices of the health insurance industry, such as dropping patients when they get sick and denying coverage because of pre-existing conditions.
- Read a quick summary of the legislation (3-page PDF file; About PDFs);
- Download the entire bill (2,409-page PDF file; About PDFs); or
- View a timeline for health care reform implementation (9-page PDF file; About PDFs).
- Learn more from Health Care Reform: Connecting the Dots -- This series of AAFP News Now articles spells out the various provisions of the law that will affect family physicians as physicians, small business owners and patient advocates.
- Get answers about the Pre-Existing Condition Insurance Plan -- The U.S. Department of Health and Human Services offers detailed information about a new program that creates a health coverage option for patients with pre-existing conditions.