The American Academy of Family Physicians endorses Recommendation No. 4 of the Institute of Medicine (IOM) report on Ensuring Quality Cancer Care addressing the elements of quality care.
Recommendation No. 4 of the Institute of Medicine report reads as follows:
Ensure the following elements of quality care for each individual with cancer:
Cancer Care, Ensuring Quality
- That recommendations about initial cancer management, which are critical in determining long-term outcome, are made by experienced professionals;
- An agreed-upon care plan that outlines goals of care;
- Access to the full complement of resources necessary to implement the care plan;
- Access to high-quality clinical trials;
- Policies to ensure full disclosure of information about appropriate treatment options;
- A mechanism to coordinate services; and
- Psychosocial support services and compassionate care.
(March Board 2001) (2007)