Drivers, Impaired, Drunk or Drugged
Motor Vehicle Occupant Protection
Substance and Alcohol Abuse and Addiction
Graduated Driver's License
The AAFP supports graduated licensing as an approach to help reduce the incidence of motor vehicle accidents for adolescents. While recognizing the need for variances by state, legislation for graduated licensing should minimally contain the following elements:
- Zero blood alcohol concentration allowed during the provisional licensure state.
- Driving curfew during provisional licensure.
- A minimum of six months without an accident or traffic offense while on a provisional license before advancement to an unrestricted license.
- Basic learner's permit conditions, to include required classroom and behind-the-wheel instruction.
- Physical distinction between provisional and unrestricted license.
(1995) (2012 COD)