This was successfully posted to your pofile.
This box will close automatically in a few seconds. Close this window
We don't have an e-mail address on file for you. To use AAFP Connection, you must have an e-mail address in our records. Click Here
ONC Infographic Aims to Help Patients Understand Benefits of EHRs
By News Staff
The online document walks patients through the timeline of EHR development and explains the benefits of moving from a paper-based system to one that relies on the electronic exchange of information between physicians, other health care professionals, patients, pharmacies and hospitals.
The document is filled with facts and figures. For example, according to the infographic,
- physicians' use of EHRs increased from 18 percent in 2001 to 57 percent in 2011,
- two out of three patients would consider switching to a physician who offers access to medical records through a secure Internet connection,
- 80 percent of Americans who have access to their health information via an EHR view and use that information,
- 65 percent of Americans without electronic access to their medical records say having such access is important, and
- 17 million consumers used electronic tools and mobile devices in 2011 to access health information.
The information displayed in the ONC infographic explains to consumers that the development of health IT means patients
- spend less time filling out health care-related paperwork,
- experience enhanced care coordination among their health care providers, and
- have prescriptions filled faster and more accurately.
The ONC encourages all physicians to share the Web link or the information contained in the infographic with their patients.
Research Study Results
Patients Use More Services When They Have Online Access to Physicians, Records