Quality Assurance Program
About the AAFP-PT Quality Assurance Program
AAFP-PT offers an inexpensive quality assurance program as an alternative to a full proficiency testing program for waived and PPM laboratories. Participants in the Quality Assurance program will receive samples twice per year. This is a self-graded program, i.e., no results are submitted to AAFP-PT and no evaluation is provided.
Participation in proficiency testing is considered a Good Laboratory Practice by the CDC and CMS. Although waived laboratories are not required by CLIA '88 to perform proficiency testing, some states and accreditation agencies encourage these laboratories to participate in a quality assurance program. This program meets these requirements.
The QA program also includes up to 12 hours of Prescribed Continuing Medical Education (CME) credit for reviewing the PT educational materials, completing the CME test sheet and submitting it to AAFP-PT for evaluation.
The AAFP-PT is approved as a provider of continuing education programs in the Clinical Laboratory Sciences by the ASCLS P.A.C.E.® program. AAFP-PT is also an approved provider for California clinical laboratory licensees under the P.A.C.E. program.
- After completing the enrollment form, the lab will receive one sample (per ordered analyte) two times per year.
- The shipments will arrive in April and November.
- An answer form and key to grade yourself will be provided.
- Included with your registration fee is a handbook and CME materials.
- The answer key that is sent will include peer group acceptable results for your quality assurance check of the samples ordered.