Resources on MACRA
the Medicare Access and CHIP Reauthorization Act of 2015
MACRA transforms Medicare Physician Payment
In April 2015, President Obama signed into law the Medicare Access and CHIP Reauthorization Act of 2015 (MACRA). The law:
- Repeals the sustainable growth rate (SGR) methodology for determining updates to the Medicare physician fee schedule.
- Establishes annual positive or flat fee updates for 10 years and institutes a two-track fee update beginning in 2019.
- Establishes the Merit-based Incentive Payment System (MIPS) that consolidates existing Medicare quality programs.
- Establishes a pathway for physicians to participate in an Alternative Payment Model (APM).
MACRA Resources from the AAFP
FAQ on MACRA
Answers to common questions related to MACRA.
Pathway to MACRA
This infographic highlights the path options you will choose related to MACRA and can help you decide which pathway works best for your practice.
Pick Your Pace
2017 has been named a transition year to “Pick Your Pace" by CMS. Learn what to do in order to avoid a 2019 negative payment adjustment.
MACRA On-demand Module Series
This members-only module series introduces MACRA, MIPS, and APMs.
Get Paid with the Annual Wellness Visit (AWV)
Implementing the AWV can optimize revenue and improve Medicare quality and cost with minimal impact to your practice under MACRA.
MACRA Timeline(1 page PDF)
A visual of how MACRA will roll out in an easy-to-view format.
An acronym table of the programs, organizations, and terms related to MACRA.
What is MIPS?
The Merit-based Incentive Payment System (MIPS) is one of the two new payment tracks created under MACRA. It replaces three existing quality programs and adds a new performance category.
Prepare for MIPS
Answer questions about your practice in order to get next steps on what you and your practice should do to prepare for the Merit-based Payment System.
What are AAPMs?
The AAPM is the other two new payment track created under MACRA. It offers physicians incentives to provide high-quality, cost-effective care and move away from the fee-for-service model.
What are MIPS APMs?
Certain eligible clinicians who do not meet the payment threshold or the patient threshold can be categorizied as part of MIPS APMs, a subset of APMs.
Questions about MACRA?
Get answers to your questions about MACRA with our FAQ.
- AAFP Advocacy on MACRA Implementation Paying Off from In the Trenches
- Making MACRA Manageable from In the Trenches
- Medicare Payment Reform: Making Sense of MACRA from FPM
- MIPS: A Primer on the New Payment Model from In the Trenches
- APMs: A Primer on the New Payment Model from
In the Trenches
- Final MACRA Implementation Rule Addresses AAFP Concerns from AAFP News
- CMS Opens Door to Possible Delay of MACRA Implementation from AAFP News
- Proposed MACRA Implementation Rule Misses Mark from AAFP News
- AAFP Declares Victory for FPs as Senate Fully Repeals SGR from AAFP News
- White House Ceremony Celebrates SGR Repeal Victory from AAFP News