Resources on MACRA
the Medicare Access and CHIP Reauthorization Act of 2015
MACRA transforms Medicare Physician Payment
In April 2015, President Obama signed into law the Medicare Access and CHIP Reauthorization Act of 2015 (MACRA). The law:
- Repeals the sustainable growth rate (SGR) methodology for determining updates to the Medicare physician fee schedule.
- Establishes annual positive or flat fee updates for 10 years and institutes a two-track fee update beginning in 2019.
- Establishes the Merit-based Incentive Payment System (MIPS) that consolidates existing Medicare quality programs.
- Establishes a pathway for physicians to participate in an Alternative Payment Model (APM).
MACRA Resources from the AAFP
MACRA On-demand Module Series
This members-only module series introduces MACRA, MIPS, and APMs.
MACRA Timeline(1 page PDF)
A visual of how MACRA will roll out in an easy-to-view format.
FAQ on MACRA
Answers to common questions related to MACRA.
MACRA Acronym and Definition Table
An acronym list of the programs, organizations, and terms related to MACRA.
MIPS and APM Comparison Table
Want to compare MIPS and APM? View a side-by-side comparison based on eligibility, participation requirements, incentives, and penalties.
Prepare for MIPS
Answer questions about your practice in order to get next steps on what you and your practice should do to prepare for the Merit-based Payment System.
Payment model primers from In the Trenches
In the Trenches explores the basics of the two types of payment models associated with MACRA.
Questions about MACRA?
Get answers to your questions about MACRA with our FAQ.
- Making MACRA Manageable from In the Trenches
- Medicare Payment Reform: Making Sense of MACRA from FPM
- MIPS: A Primer on the New Payment Model from In the Trenches
- APMs: A Primer on the New Payment Model from
In the Trenches
- AAFP Urges CMS to Rework to Rework Proposed New Patient Codes from AAFP News
- CMS Opens Door to Possible Delay of MACRA Implementation from AAFP News
- Proposed MACRA Implementation Rule Misses Mark from AAFP News
- AAFP Declares Victory for FPs as Senate Fully Repeals SGR from AAFP News
- White House Ceremony Celebrates SGR Repeal Victory from AAFP News