Find Participating Pharmacies
Steps to Finding Pharmacies Participating in e-Prescribing
Create a list of area pharmacies
To create a list of area pharmacies that your patients frequent and that accept e-prescriptions:
- Create a list of the zip codes for the areas where your patients live and work. If you have a practice management system and can get the codes from it, start there. If not, use the United States Postal Service's zip code look-up tool(zip4.usps.com).
- Using the list of zip codes, find pharmacies that accept e-prescriptions(www.getrxconnected.com).
- List area pharmacies accepting e-prescriptions in a spreadsheet.
- Sample your patients for a period of time (for example, two weeks) and ask which pharmacies they use on a regular basis.
Follow up with pharmacies
Ask staff to follow up with pharmacies that patients said they use but didn't come up on your search. Do they accept e-prescriptions?
What you will need
- Staff and time to collect information about pharmacies and patients' preferences (one to two people; three to four hours over a period of two weeks)
- A tool(1 page XLS) to aggregate pharmacy information and compare it to patients' preferences.
Outcome: A list of pharmacies that accepts e-prescriptions and are used by your patients
Time to Complete: Two weeks to collect data