Assemble a Project Team: Same-day Appointments
Steps to Assembling a Project Team to Implement Same-day Appointments
Get everyone involved
- Get buy-in from providers and staff.
- Determine which staff need to be on the implementation team. Be sure to include staff currently involved in the scheduling process.
- The AAFP video "Improve the Patient Experience" includes an introduction to same-day appointment scheduling.
- Read FPM's article about same-day scheduling and open access "Answers to Your Questions about Same-Day Scheduling." [LINK TO FPM] It will also help you learn the difference between committing to same-day scheduling/open access and assigning a few appointment slots for same-day scheduling.
Schedule project meetings
In your first meeting:
- Show the AAFP video "Improve the Patient Experience" to educate team members about same-day appointment scheduling.
- Set clear goals.
- Determine staff roles and responsibilities.
- Set a launch date.
Develop a timeline
- Set a timeline for project completion.
- Set a timeline for project evaluation.
Prepare for challenges
Develop a plan to deal with implementation issues, including resistance from providers, staff and patients.
What you will need
- A project team and leader. The knowledge and skills of individuals' on a team can help your project succeed.
- Staff buy-in and commitment. You will need the collaboration of all members of your staff to implement open-access scheduling.
- Additional time to work on project
- A computer with Internet access to watch the video
Difficulty: Easy; requires buy-in from providers and staff
Outcome: Commitment to implementing open-access scheduling
Time to Complete: Two weeks