Educate & Train Staff: Same-day Appointments
Steps to Educating & Training Staff on Same-day Appointments
Keep staff informed
- Schedule a staff meeting to discuss planned changes to practice operation.
- Consider showing the AAFP video "Improve the Patient Experience" to refresh staff about same-day appointment scheduling.
- Inform staff about how planned changes will impact their daily activities.
- Share timeline for project completion and implementation of open-access scheduling.
Prepare for challenges
- Be prepared to address staff resistance to planned changes.
- Provide information about the benefits of open-access scheduling.
- Share some of the challenges the practice currently faces, such as no-shows and long waits for appointments, and their impact on patient care, practice finances, and staff workflow.
What you will need
- Regular meetings to keep staff informed.
- A computer with Internet access to show the video.
- In case you face staff resistance to open-access scheduling, it is helpful to compile some information on the benefits of same-day appointments. Share this information with all staff that may be affected by the changes in your practice.
Difficulty: Easy; challenges include staff resistance to change
Outcome: Trained staff to put changes into practice
Time to Complete: One day