Comprehensive Primary Care Plus (CPC+)
Update: 2017 Application Period
On December 15, 2016, CMS announced a second opportunity for practices to apply to participate in CPC+. Round 1 (practices applied in 2016) will begin in January 2017 and Round 2 will begin in January 2018.
CPC+ will be offered in up to 10 new regions determined by payer interest and alignment during Round 2. Practices located in these new regions will be eligible to apply in late spring or early summer 2017.
Note: Practices located in the 14 Round 1 regions are not eligible to apply to CPC+ Round 2.
What is CPC+?
The Comprehensive Primary Care Plus (CPC+) is an advanced alternative payment model (APM) built on learnings from the original CPC initiative. The model includes:
- Practice readiness
- Aligned payment reform
- Actionable performance-based incentives
- Robust data sharing
CPC+ is designed to provide physicians freedom to care for their patients in a way they think will deliver the best outcomes and to pay them for achieving results and improving care.
How Can Your Practice Benefit From CPC+?
CPC+ has been designated as an Advanced Alternative Payment model (APM) in the recent MACRA/Quality Payment Program final rule. CPC+ presents an opportunity for family physicians and their practices to engage in a payment model that improves primary care payment while also supporting medical home functions and providing a path out of the MIPs program.
CPC+ Round 1 is being implemented in the following states and regions:
|Kansas City Metro (KS/MO)||Michigan||Montana|
|New Jersey||New York (Hudson Valley)||Ohio (includes Northern Kentucky counties)|
How to Get Started
Review the request for applications from Round 1(innovation.cms.gov) and ensure your practice meets the requirements.
The Transforming Clinical Practice initiative (TCPi) is a technical assistance program funded by CMS to help practices prepare for successful participation in alternative payment models, like CPC+. Email the AAFP at email@example.com if you have questions. You can participate in conversations with other family physicians transforming their practices through the TCPi Member Interest Group.
Check back for more information as it becomes available or contact the AAFP (firstname.lastname@example.org) with your questions.
- January 2017: CPC+ Round 1 performance year one begins and announcement of participating practices expected
- Late spring/early summer 2017: CPC+ Round 2 practice application period opens
- January 2018: CPC+ Round 1 performance year two begins; Round 2 performance year one begins
- January 2019: CPC+ Round 1 performance year three begins; Round 2 performance year two begins
- January 2020: CPC+ Round 1 performance year four begins; Round 2 performance year three begins
- January 2021: CPC+ Round 1 performance year five begins; Round 2 performance year four begins
- January 2022: CPC+ Round 2 performance year five begins
- April 11, 2016: CPC + Model announced
- April 14 and 19, 2016: CPC+ Model Announcement Webinar (All members of the public)
- April 21, 2016: CPC+ Health IT Vendor Webinar (Health IT vendors only)
- April 27 and May 10, 2016: CPC+ Interested Payer Webinar (Payers only)
- June 8, 2016: CMS deadline for accepting payer proposals to partner in CPC+ (closes at 11:59 p.m. EST)
- Late July 2016: CMS publicizes the 20 CPC+ regions
- August 1 – September 15, 2016: CMS accepting practice applications (closes at 11:59 p.m. EST)
- Late November 2016: Selected practices notified
- December 15, 2016: CPC+ Round 2 announced