Comprehensive Primary Care Plus (CPC+)
CPC+: A New CPC Model
The Centers for Medicare & Medicaid Services (CMS) announced in April 2016 a new initiative to improve care delivery and payment for primary care and support practice transformation. The new model, the Comprehensive Primary Care Plus (CPC+), is an advanced primary care model built on learnings from the original CPC initiative, including the critical role of practice readiness, aligned payment reform, actionable performance-based incentives, and robust data sharing. CPC+ is designed to provide physicians the freedom to care for their patients in a way they think will deliver the best outcomes and to pay them for achieving results and improving care.
Practices will have the opportunity to apply (see the Request for Application, appendix B(innovation.cms.gov)) to one of two tracks from August 1 through September 15, 2016.
CMS seeks to work with health IT vendors to support effective implementation in CPC+ practices. HIT vendors can learn more about this partnership in the RFA appendix C(innovation.cms.gov).
CPC+ Regions Announced
CMS has announced 14 regions selected for participation in the Comprehensive Primary Care Plus initiative:
|Kansas City Metro (KS/MO)||Michigan||Montana|
|New Jersey||New York (Hudson Valley)||Ohio (includes Northern Kentucky counties)|
CPC+ has been designated as an Advanced Alternative Payment model in the recent MACRA/Quality Payment Program proposed rule. This is an opportunity for members and their practices to engage in a payment model that is supportive of advanced primary care functions while also providing an alternative to the MIPs program.
Now that regions have been announced, practices need to determine if their affiliated payers in the region are partnering with CMS for CPC+ before submitting an application. (RFA page 8 Practice Selection)(innovation.cms.gov)
The AAFP and Caravan Health Collaborate to Help You Apply for and Succeed Under CPC+
Caravan Health(www.caravanhealth.com) is dedicated to bringing better care to patients and communities. They provide services and training to independent practices and primary care physicians ready to make the transformation to value-based payment.
The AAFP is collaborating with Caravan Health to provide Caravan Health’s CPC+ boot camp to AAFP members and their practices.
A Boot Camp to Get You Ready for CPC+
Caravan Health's CPC+ boot camp is a nine-week program and is currently accepting new practices.
The boot camp:
- Prepares your practice staff for CPC+ and other value-based payment programs.
- Provides your practice with the resources you need to successfully qualify for the CPC+ program.
- Is grant-funded and has no cost to participants.
The CPC+ boot camps have already begun, but it’s not too late for your practice to join and benefit from this opportunity.
AAFP staff will work with you to assess your eligibility for the free boot camp and to assure that this opportunity would be beneficial for your practice.
Call 1 (800) 274-2237 or email firstname.lastname@example.org today to sign up. Availability for grant-funded participation is limited.
Additional Help with CPC+
Caravan Health will also help determine whether CPC+ Track 1 or Track 2 is right for your practice. If your practice is eligible for CPC+, Caravan Health will provide comprehensive application assistance, including all required letters of support.
Caravan Health offers on-demand webinars with more information about CPC+, benefits for primary care practice, and how Caravan Health helps practices prepare.
- April 11, 2016: CPC + Model announced
- April 14 and 19, 2016: CPC+ Model Announcement Webinar (All members of the public)
- April 21, 2016: CPC+ Health IT Vendor Webinar (Health IT vendors only)
- April 27 and May 10, 2016: CPC+ Interested Payer Webinar (Payers only)
- June 8, 2016: CMS deadline for accepting payer proposals to partner in CPC+ (closes at 11:59pm EST)
- Late July 2016: CMS publicizes the 20 CPC+ regions
- August 1 – September 15, 2016: CMS accepting practice applications (closes at 11:59pm EST)
- January 2017: CPC+ performance year one begins
- January 2018: CPC+ performance year two begins
- January 2019: CPC+ performance year three begins
- January 2020: CPC+ performance year four begins
- January 2021: CPC+ performance year five begins