Benefits of the PCMH: Why Transform?
Why Transform to a PCMH?
Building a patient-centered medical home (PCMH) requires hard work from you and your practice team. There are no shortcuts—change requires time, money, dedication, and sustained effort, and you will not see results overnight. Faced with these challenges, practice transformation seems a daunting prospect. But the need for change is real: Health care in the United States is moving away from a volume-based payment system and toward a value-based system. The effort you put into PCMH transformation not only positions you to better respond to this changing health care landscape, but with time, it also benefits your patients, your practice, and your bottom line.
Benefits for Your Patients
- Engaged, happier, and more satisfied patients
- Better coordinated, more comprehensive and personalized care
- Improved access to medical care and services
- Improved health outcomes, especially for patients who have chronic conditions
Benefits for Your Practice
- Joy in practice: increased physician and staff member satisfaction
- Physicians and staff members who practice at the top of their licenses
- Improved safety and quality of care
Benefits for Your Bottom Line
- A more efficient use of practice resources, resulting in cost savings
- Opportunities to participate in payment incentives for adopting the functions of a PCMH
- A practice that is better prepared to succeed once primary care payment reform has become widespread (e.g., value-based payment or global payment)
- A practice that is better prepared to participate in accountable care organizations
- The Patient-Centered Medical Home's Impact on Cost and Quality: Annual Review of Evidence(www.pcpcc.org) (2013-14)
- Benefits of Implementing the Primary Care Patient-Centered Medical Home: A Review of Cost and Quality Results(www.pcpcc.org) (Sept. 2012)
- Medical Homes and Cost and Utilization Among High-Risk Patients(www.ajmc.com) (March 2014)
- Patient-Centered Medical Home Demonstration: A Prospective, Quasi-Experimental, Before and After Evaluation(www.ajmc.com) (Sept. 2009)
- The Group Health Medical Home At Year Two: Cost Savings, Higher Patient Satisfaction, and Less Burnout For Providers(content.healthaffairs.org) (May 2010)
- Patient-Centered Medical Homes Improve Care for Adults With Chronic Conditions(healthpolicy.ucla.edu) (May 2013)