AAFP Award for Distinguished and Meritorious Service to Family Medicine
Previously: Award of Merit (1975; revised 1994); Distinguished Service Award (2003); Executive Service Award (unkown creation date); and Outstanding Service Award (1993)
This award combines the four awards to recognize members, nonmembers, chapter executives with 25-year service, and entities for long-time dedication to advancing, contributing, and supporting to the AAFP and the specialty of family medicine. It is intended to recognize long-time dedication, rather than through a single, significant contribution and effective leadership within their chapter or nationally in furthering the development of family medicine. This award is the preferred method for recognizing chapter staff. It can also be presented to national staff and vendors/suppliers.
If you have any questions or need more information, please contact Terresa Winch at (800) 274-2237, ext. 6831, or firstname.lastname@example.org.
View past recipients of the former Award of Merit(1 page PDF).
View past recipients of the former Distinguished Service Award(1 page PDF).
View past recipients of the former Executive Service Award(79 KB PDF).
View past recipients of the former Oustanding Service Award(1 page PDF).
- 25 years of service as a chapter executive,
- Long-time dedication and efforts in advancing, contributing or supporting the AAFP and the specialty of family medicine
- Nominations must be made by a letter of recommendation and should include a brief summary of the entity or person’s accomplishments and why they deserve this award for their distinguished and dedicated efforts furthering the specialty of family medicine.
- Chapter executives who have received the award in recognition of 25 years of service may receive the award again for their distinguished service to family medicine.
- Past 25-year service, Distinguished Award, Award of Merit, and Outstanding Service Award recipients are eligible to receive the Award for Distinguished and Meritorious Service to Family Medicine. Nominations must include the entity or person's accomplishments since receiving one of these former awards and provide the rationale for why the past recipient should receive the award again.
Members and AAFP staff
Commission on Membership and Member Services by submitting a letter of recommendation. Final approval by the AAFP Board of Directors.
Please send your completed nomination letter to:
American Academy of Family Physicians
Attn: Terresa Winch
11400 Tomahawk Creek Parkway
Leawood, KS 66211-2672
Fax: (913) 906-6088
For more information about the AAFP Award for Distinguished and Meritorious Service to Family Medicine, please contact:
Senior Program Coordinator
(800) 274-2237, ext. 6831
This award can be presented to more than one individual in a year and is not limited to being presented at one particular venue, such as the Annual Chapter Leader Forum, AAFP Foundation Recognition Dinner, chapter meetings.
*Travel expenses are not provided.