Public Health Award
The AAFP's Public Health Award recognizes the important contributions that family physicians make to advancing the health of the public at the national, state, or local levels. Family physicians contribute to the health of the public in a variety of ways, and strong nominees will include family physicians who:
- Have a career dedicated to leadership in a traditional public health organization (local or state health
department, the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention, health foundations, etc.), or
- Who have gone beyond their patient panel to advocate for the health of the public, engage their
community, or provide leadership to help resolve major public health issues or epidemics, or
- Work to enhance health equity, and promote diversity and inclusion, or
- Who work to realize the “triple aim” (improving the health of populations, improving patient
experience, and reducing per capita costs).
Awardees will have gone above and beyond their typical job responsibilities and will have demonstrated leadership, innovation, and advocacy, resulting in improved patient and community health. To be considered for the award, applicants must:
- Be a current member of the AAFP.
- Submit a complete nomination form (self-nominations are welcomed) that describes the nominee’s
contribution to at least one of the above four described areas.
- Submit a letter of support from their AAFP chapter.
The winner is determined by a panel consisting of the executive committee of the Commission on Health of the Public and Science. If there is no clear winner, the top five nominees will be resubmitted to the judges. A final ranking of the top five will determine the winner.
Calls for entries are solicited in the fall/winter of each year.
April 30, 2019
AAFP members (self-nominations welcome)
The nomination packet must contain the following:
- Nomination Form(81 KB PDF)
- Separate sheet documenting nominee’s public health leadership with clear examples
- Physician’s curriculum vitae
- Letter of endorsement from the physician’s chapter
Nominations, along with all supporting materials and documentation, can be emailed or mailed to:
American Academy of Family Physicians
11400 Tomahawk Creek Parkway
Leawood, KS 66211
AAFP Congress of Delegates