FMIG Network Program of Excellence Award
The 2018 application cycle is now closed.
For more than 10 years, the AAFP Family Medicine Interest Group (FMIG) Network has recognized FMIGs with the Program of Excellence Award for their efforts to stimulate student interest in family medicine and family medicine programming.
FMIGs are active at nearly every medical school across the country. The Program of Excellence Award aims to celebrate the contributions these groups make to the specialty of family medicine by honoring a variety of applicant types. Some programs have an established record of high achievement and strong advising and support, while other programs may be new to their campus or have a defined area of focus throughout the year. The AAFP is proud to recognize the unique achievements of all such FMIGs through the Program of Excellence Award.
Program of Excellence Award winners will be recognized at the AAFP National Conference of Family Medicine Residents and Medical Students August 2-4, 2018, in Kansas City. All FMIG leaders and members from award-winning FMIGs will be invited to the stage during the FMIG Network breakfast and will be presented with a plaque to display back at school.
Additionally, two winning schools will receive a $600 cash prize each.
- One cash prize will be awarded to a school that shows consistent excellence, being a consistent and historical winner of this award and continuing to excel and improve.
- A second cash prize will be awarded to an FMIG from an institution that is not a historical winner of the Program of Excellence Awards, and instead is making great strides in a different environment. This could be a school with a single innovative and exemplary program or initiative, or a new school, or an FMIG that has been dormant for many years and is being relaunched, or great improvement in FMIG activity, or efforts to promote family medicine in an environment that is less supportive of primary care.
Prize winners will be selected by a panel of judges reviewing blinded applications.
To win a Program of Excellence Award, an FMIG must demonstrate that it is well-rounded with competency in a number of key areas, including:
- FMIG structure and operation
- Community service
- Exposing students to family medicine and family physicians
- Promoting the value of family medicine as primary care
- Professional development
- Measures of success
The FMIG must also illustrate significant changes or enhancements -- what was learned from the previous years' activities, what new innovations have been or will be developed, and what elements of programming were modified to meet the needs of members.
Awards are given in two segments:
- Overall Awards: Ten overall Program of Excellence Award winners will be chosen based on demonstration of well-rounded, exemplary FMIG activity and operation. These FMIGs address all aspects of the key award areas explained above.
- Special Consideration or Categorical Awards: These are FMIGs who demonstrate excellence in one area, or who qualify for special consideration because they are a first-time applicant or an FMIG that has overcome significant obstacles. Examples of special consideration or categorical awards are:
- Excellence in Community Service
- Excellence in Professional Development
- Excellence in Exposure to Family Medicine and Family Physicians
- Excellence in Promoting the Value of Family Medicine as Primary Care
- First-Time Applicant
- Most Improved FMIG
Each FMIG may apply for an overall or a special consideration/categorical award. Applicants for the overall award that are not chosen as overall winners are eligible for special consideration/categorical awards at the discretion of the Program of Excellence Award judging panel. Applicants for special consideration/categorical awards are not eligible for overall awards. The application form must be used for submission. Any other formats will not be accepted.
How to use these forms
- Ensure you have the latest version of Adobe Reader(get.adobe.com).
- Download/save the PDF to your computer, and complete it offline. Do not work on the form within your Web browser.
- Click on a text area to add content.
- Save your changes.
- Send completed form to email@example.com.
Please note that some programs have reported experiencing technical issues such as text being automatically deleted from a PDF when the file is sent to others. It may be best to save larger parts of your writing in a word processing file as a backup to your PDF application.
- FMIG Program of Excellence Overall Award Application(11 page PDF)
- FMIG Program of Excellence Categorical or Special Consideration Award Application(7 page PDF)
Strengthen Your FMIG
Discover the wide variety of tools, resources, and materials available from the AAFP for your Family Medicine Interest Group.