Family Medicine Leads Scholarships for National Conference
Family Medicine Leads (FML) Scholarships to National Conference are provided by the American Academy of Family Physicians Foundation. Family Medicine Leads focuses on filling the workforce pipeline with the best and the brightest, as well as supporting the development of future family medicine leaders.
All scholarships are made possible by the donations of family physicians across the country.
Register Now for the Virtual Event
July 30 - August 1, 2020
Dates to Remember
- April 29, 2020: Application deadline
- June 1, 2020: Notification to applicants
- July 30 - August 1, 2020: National Conference of Family Medicine Residents and Medical Students
FML Scholarship Information
- The number of scholarships awarded in each category varies depending on the funding level and the number of applicants.
- The $130 scholarship is intended to cover the cost of registration.
- All scholarship checks will be mailed after National Conference. If you do not attend the virtual conference, your scholarship will be forfeited.
- You must be a member of the American Academy of Family Physicians (AAFP) to apply. New or lapsed memberships may take a couple of days to process. Please plan accordingly as late applications will not be accepted. Join now.
- You may only apply to one scholarship category each year (i.e. if you apply for Student Primary Care Champion this year, you may not also apply for FMIG Leaders).
- You are not eligible to apply if you previously received a National Conference scholarship from the AAFP Foundation (excluding Emerging Leader Institute).
- Scholarships are based on your status during the 2020-21 academic year. Please apply to scholarship categories accordingly.
It is recommended you have all items listed below ready and in the required format before starting your online application
1. Contact information (including AAFP ID)
- Please provide personal email address as medical school/residency email systems often have spam filters/firewalls that hamper the receipt of external emails.
2. Answers to questions (see specific scholarship for questions).
- You are encouraged to give considerable thought to the essay questions and draft your answers in a separate document prior to beginning your application.
- The AAFP is committed to building a diverse workforce. If applicable, you may complete an optional essay to briefly describe how you identify as someone underrepresented in medicine.
The required online application must be completed and submitted to the AAFP by June 4, 2020. Winners will be notified the week of June 15.
- When writing your answers, keep in mind that hundreds of applications are received and reviewed.
- Make your application stand out and try to avoid clichés.
- As the application is a chance to learn about you and your goals, you are encouraged to provide thoughtful and authentic answers.
If you have questions about National Conference scholarships, email Rachel Larsen or call (800) 274-2237, ext. 6369.
Students who wish to apply for this award must complete an online application that includes three essay questions. You must be a M1-M3 student during the 2020-21 academic year to apply. Application deadline is June 4.
Students or residents who wish to apply for this award must complete an online application that includes three essay questions. To apply for the student scholarship, you must be a M4 student during the 2020-21 academic year. To apply for the resident scholarship, you must be a resident during the 2020-21 academic year. Application deadline is June 4.
The Family Medicine Interest Group (FMIG) Leaders scholarship is open to current or incoming FMIG, ACOFP Student Chapter, or other Student Primary Care Interest Group leaders. You must hold FMIG/SIG leadership position in 2020-21 academic year to apply. Students who wish to apply for this award must complete an online application (including contact information for your FMIG/SIG faculty advisor) that includes three essay questions. You must be a medical student during the 2020-21 academic year to apply. Application deadline is June 4.