Family Medicine Leads Scholarships for National Conference
Family Medicine Leads (FML) Scholarships to National Conference are provided by the American Academy of Family Physicians Foundation. Family Medicine Leads(www.aafpfoundation.org) focuses on filling the workforce pipeline with the best and the brightest, as well as supporting the development of future family medicine leaders.
All scholarships are made possible by the donations of family physicians across the country.
In 2019, 250 scholarships will be awarded to attend the National Conference of Family Medicine Residents and Medical Students, July 25-27, in Kansas City, MO.
Dates to Remember
- May 1, 2019:
- May 31, 2019:
Notification to applicant
- July 25-27, 2019:
National Conference of Family Medicine Residents and Medical Students
FML Scholarship Information
- The number of scholarships in each category varies from year to year depending on the funding level and the number of applicants.
- Scholarship recipients are selected by a panel of judges.
- The $600 scholarship is intended to help reduce out-of-pocket expenses (registration, travel, lodging, meals) to attend National Conference.
- All scholarship checks are awarded at National Conference. If you are unable to attend the Conference, your scholarship will be forfeited.
- You must be a member of the American Academy of Family Physicians (AAFP) to apply. New or lapsed memberships may require a minimum of two business days to process. Please plan accordingly as late applications will not be accepted. Join now.
- You may only apply to one scholarship category each year (i.e. if you apply for Student Primary Care Champion this year, you may not also apply for FMIG Leaders this year).
- You are not eligible to apply if you previously received a National Conference scholarship from the AAFP Foundation (excluding Emerging Leader Institute).
- Scholarships are based on your status during the 2019-20 academic year. Please apply to scholarship categories accordingly.
- You must be able to attend the entire National Conference (defined as arriving no later than Noon on Thursday, July 25, and leaving no earlier than Noon on Saturday, July 27).
- You must agree to the Family Medicine Leads Scholarship Agreement.(1 page PDF)
It is recommended you have all items listed below ready and in the required format before starting your online application.
- Contact information (including AAFP #)
- Please provide personal email address as medical school/residency email systems often have spam filters/firewalls that hamper the receipt of external emails.
- Answers to questions (see specific scholarship for questions)
- You are encouraged to give considerable thought to the essay questions and draft your answers in a separate document prior to beginning your application.
- The AAFP is committed to building a diverse workforce. If applicable, you may complete an optional essay to briefly describe how you identify as someone underrepresented in medicine.
The required online application must be completed and submitted to the AAFP by May 1, 2019. Winners will be notified by May 31.
- When writing your answers, keep in mind that hundreds of applications are received and reviewed by the judges.
- Make your application stand out and try to avoid clichés.
- As the application is a chance for the judges to learn about you and your goals, you are encouraged to provide thoughtful and authentic answers.
If you have questions about any National Conference scholarships, email Rachel Larsen or call (800) 274-2237, ext. 6369.
Students who wish to apply for this award must complete an online application that includes three essay questions. You must be a M1-M3 student during the 2019-20 academic year to apply. Application process closes May 1.
Students or residents who wish to apply for this award must complete an online application that includes three essay questions. To apply for the student scholarship, you must be a M4 student during the 2019-20 academic year. Application process closes May 1.
The Family Medicine Interest Group (FMIG) Leaders scholarship is open to current or incoming FMIG, ACOFP Student Chapter, or other Student Primary Care Interest Group leaders. You must hold FMIG/SIG leadership position in 2019-20 academic year to apply. Students who wish to apply for this award must complete an online application (including contact information for your FMIG/SIG faculty advisor) that includes three essay questions. You must be a medical student during the 2019-20 academic year to apply. Application process closes May 1.
Deadline: March 1, 2019
Enhance your leadership skills and earn a $1,000 scholarship to attend National Conference through the Family Medicine Leads (FML) Emerging Leader Institute. Applicants must be a member of the American Academy of Family Physicians. Medical student applicants must be in second, third, or fourth year of medical school when the program begins. Resident applicants must be in first or second year of residency when program begins.