Exemplary Teaching Awards
Created: 1997, Revised: 2009 (no longer presented at Congress of Delegates)
The awards acknowledge Academy members who deserve recognition of exemplary teaching skills, as well as individuals who have implemented outstanding educational programs and/or developed innovative teaching models. This award is presented in two different categories:
- Full- or part-time faculty
Nominations Due By:
Email correspondence to chapters, members of the Association of Family Medicine Residency Directors (AFMRD), Association of Departments of Family Medicine (ADFM) and Society of Teachers of Family Medicine (STFM) will be conducted in December containing additional information regarding this award.
Selection Criteria and Nomination Requirements:
The nominees for the AAFP Exemplary Teaching Awards will be evaluated based upon the following criteria:
- Recognized for exemplary teaching skills and outstanding progression of abilities over several years by medical students, residents, or peers; or
- Developed and implemented innovative curriculum, teaching model(s), or program(s) in a variety of educational spheres; and
- Must be a current member of the AAFP.
Previous winners of the Thomas W. Johnson Award for Career Contributions to Family Medicine Education ARE NOT eligible to receive the Exemplary Teaching Awards.
All nominations must include the following information to be eligible for consideration:
- Completed nomination form by email(108 KB PDF) or fax(105 KB PDF).
- An electronic or typed copy mailed of a current Curriculum Vitae (five-page maximum).
- A minimum of three and a maximum of five letters of recommendation. At least two of the letters of recommendation must be submitted from individuals who are current or former students/residents who have been taught by the nominee.
- A recent head-and-shoulders photo (5x7 or larger is preferred) of the nominee, or a digital photo mailed or emailed.
AAFP Constituent Chapters Only
AAFP Commission on Education
All materials including supporting documentation should be emailed or faxed to Claudia Caton and must be received by March 1.
American Academy of Family Physicians
Attn: Claudia Caton
11400 Tomahawk Creek Parkway
Leawood, KS 66211
(913) 906-6289 (Fax)