Ask and Act
Did You Know?
As family physicians, we have real power in the fight against tobacco and nicotine.
- At least 70% of the people who use tobacco products in the United States see a physician each year.
- If physicians would advise 90% of smokers to quit and offer them medication or other assistance, 42,000 lives could be saved each year.
- The use of evidence-based programs can more than double tobacco cessation success rates.
The AAFP's tobacco cessation program, "Ask and Act," encourages family physicians to ASK their patients about tobacco use, then ACT to help them quit.
Through the Ask and Act program, AAFP members have access to a variety of evidence-based resources to help patients quit using tobacco. The materials are posted online for practices, residencies, family medicine departments and AAFP constituent chapters to download or order. Resources include:
- Practice Toolkit with office resources and patient education materials; and
- Information on payment for tobacco cessation counseling.
Chapter Materials Request(1 page DOT)
Request Ask and Act materials for distribution at your meeting.