Center for Global Health Initiatives Advisory Board
The Center for Global Health Initiatives (CGHI) is responsible for implementing the American Academy of Family Physicians’ (AAFP) global health strategy, which focuses on supporting AAFP members in their global health experiences.
CGHI Advisory Board members are involved in the following activities.
- Designing and planning AAFP global health initiatives through expert advice, consultations, and guidance to CGHI staff, AAFP leadership, and Board of Directors.
- Planning and implementing AAFP educational and networking activities related to global health.
- Providing mentoring for medical students, residents, and new physicians interested in global health. Board members are also afforded mentoring opportunities from established global health leaders.
CGHI Board member responsibilities include:
- Attending the CGHI Advisory Board Interim meeting and meetings during the annual Global Health Workshop.
- Serving as core faculty at the annual Global Health Workshop.
- Participating in conference calls to assist with planning of the Global Health Workshop and to discuss AAFP global health strategy, initiatives, and activities.
- Sharing expertise and knowledge relevant to global health with AAFP staff and members.
- Offering subject matter expertise on global health content and resource development.
- Supporting AAFP global health initiatives through communications with members via CGHI social media outlets.
Other responsibilities may include:
- Serving as an AAFP liaison/representative to external organizations.
- Serving as an AAFP presenter at non-AAFP conferences or meetings.
CGHI Board members must:
- Be an active AAFP member
- Demonstrate interest and involvement in global health, with a proven track record of global health engagement (e.g., participation in missions; global health education at the medical school/residency program level; Global Health Center; global health track, rotation, or elective; international family medicine/primary care/public health consultations; mentoring students or residents; etc.)
Term of Service
Appointed before the annual Global Health Workshop for a three-year term.
- Approximately 11-12 days, including weekends, for meeting attendances
- Approximately 25 hours/year for communications and meeting planning
Meetings, Dates, and Locations
|Meeting : AAFP Global Health Workshop||Dates : October 2018||Location : Jacksonville, FL|
|Meeting : CGHI Advisory Board Interim Meeting||Dates : Spring 2019||Location : Leawood, KS|
|Meeting : AAFP Global Health Workshop||Dates : September 2019||Location : Albuquerque, NM|
Funding provided for attendance at the CGHI Advisory Board interim meeting and the Global Health Workshop.