The AAFP recognizes the need for ongoing public and professional education about the prevention and management of blood borne infections. The AAFP endorses and encourages the following strategies to prevent the transfer of blood borne infections:
- Having appropriate up-to-date immunizations
- Maintaining safe blood banking protocols, transfusion services, and organ donor services
- Avoiding accidental inoculation and/or exposures by the use of universal precautions
- Avoiding use of contaminated needles
- Reducing the amount of used contaminated needles in circulation through needle exchange programs
- Providing pre- and post-exposure prophylaxis when indicated
- Providing access to treatment when considered curative or effective in reducing transmission.