Strategic Plan 2018
The Vision of the American Academy of Family Physicians (AAFP) is to transform health care to achieve optimal health for everyone.
The Mission of the AAFP is to improve the health of patients, families, and communities by serving the needs of members with professionalism and creativity.
Member Value Statement
The AAFP provides value to its members by advancing the specialty of family medicine, strengthening
members’ collective voice, and providing solutions to enhance the patient care members provide.
We work to demonstrate the value family medicine brings to our health care system and increase the investment all payers and employers make in primary care. Our efforts are focused on family physicians and reducing the administrative burdens they face, standardizing and harmonizing administrative requirements, and ensuring appropriate value of the services they provide.
- Reduce the administrative complexity of modern medical practice.
- Position members to be successful in a value-based payment environment, including MACRA.
- Advocate for models of payment reform that result in family medicine and primary care receiving a greater portion of the overall spend on health care.
We develop practical tools and resources to help all family physicians—regardless of practice type—build and sustain high-functioning primary care practices. We work to enhance patient care and help every family physician achieve professional fulfillment.
- Advocate for the widespread adoption and implementation of the five advanced primary care functions in family medicine practices:
- Access and Continuity
- Planned Care for Chronic Conditions and Preventive Care
- Risk-Stratified Care Management
- Patient and Caregiver Engagement
- Coordination of Care Across the Medical Neighborhood
- Assist family physicians in using technology as a tool to expand access to quality, affordable health care for their patients.
- Advocate for the development and implementation of quality and practice improvement metrics that deliver on the quadruple aim (better care, better health, smarter spend, family physician satisfaction).
We are committed to increasing and supporting the family medicine workforce, from the time a student chooses family medicine through the completion of a satisfying career. By advocating for graduate medical education and payment reform, we work to rebalance the composition and distribution of the physician workforce in the U.S.
- Raise the awareness, understanding, and confidence of medical students to choose family medicine.
- Advance GME funding reform based on the nation’s physician workforce needs.
- Assist members in achieving well-being in order to enjoy a sustained career in family medicine.
We equip members with the data, knowledge, competencies, and skills to provide high-quality, evidence-based, and safe care to their patients in the context of family and community.
- Facilitate active members’ lifelong learning, including assessment and improvement of their knowledge, skills, practice performance, and patient health outcomes.
- Take a leadership role in addressing diversity and social determinants of health as they impact individuals, families, and communities across their lifespan and to strive for health equity.
- Accelerate the generation and implementation of new knowledge and research to improve population and community health.