Medicare Physician Fee Schedule
The Medicare Access and CHIP Reauthorization Act (MACRA) was signed in April 2015. This law:
- Repeals the Sustainable Growth Rate (SGR) methodology for determining updates to the Medicare physician fee schedule.
- Establishes annual positive or flat fee updates for 10 years and institutes a two-tracked fee update afterwards.
- Establishes a Merit-based Incentive Payment System that consolidates existing Medicare fee-for-service physician incentive programs.
- Establishes a pathway for physicians to participate in alternative payment models, including the patient-centered medical home.
- Makes other changes to existing Medicare physician payment statutes.
On November 2, 2017, the Centers for Medicare & Medicaid Services (CMS) released a final rule that changes the Medicare physician fee schedule (MPFS) and other Medicare Part B payment policies for calendar year 2018. The policies are effective on January 1, 2018. The AAFP prepared a summary of the final rule to prepare members for 2018.
AAFP Summary of the 2018 Final Medicare Physician Fee Schedule - November 9, 2017(4 page PDF)
AAFP Letter to CMS Regarding the 2018 Proposed Medicare Physician Fee Schedule - August 30, 2017(40 page PDF)
AAFP Executive Summary of the 2018 Proposed Medicare Physician Fee Schedule - July 19, 2017(4 page PDF)
AAFP Letter to CMS on 2017 Medicare Physician Fee Schedule - December 22, 2016(8 page PDF)
AAFP Executive Summary of 2017 Medicare Physician Fee Schedule - November 9, 2016(15 page PDF)
Didn't find what you were looking for? Search the Medicare Physician Fee Schedule document archive.