Please note: This information was current at the time of publication. But medical information is always changing, and some information given here may be out of date. For regularly updated information on a variety of health topics, please visit, the AAFP patient education website.

Information from Your Family Doctor

Polycystic Ovary Syndrome


Am Fam Physician. 2009 Apr 15;79(8):online.

  See related article on polycystic ovary syndrome.

What is polycystic ovary syndrome?

Polycystic ovary syndrome (PCOS) is a common condition usually related to an imbalance of hormones in your body. Some women with PCOS get small cysts (fluid-filled sacs) on their ovaries. Women with PCOS can also have higher than normal levels of androgens (one type of hormone).

How do I know if I have it?

Some of the more common symptoms are abnormal or irregular periods (periods that don't come during your normal cycle), trouble getting pregnant, excessive hair growth on your face or body, and higher than normal blood sugar levels.

How is it diagnosed?

PCOS is hard to diagnose because there are so many symptoms that occur in other diseases. Your doctor may first look for other causes of your symptoms to rule out these other diseases. He or she may also ask you about your medical history and period. You may need a physical exam, blood tests, an x-ray, or ultrasound.

How is it treated?

It depends on how PCOS is affecting your life, what symptoms you have, and what type of treatment you want. Some common treatments are weight loss, diet, exercise, medicine, and hair removal. Some women who are having trouble getting pregnant may need surgery.

What medicines are used to treat it?

Many medicines may be used because there are so many ways PCOS can affect patients. If you have high blood sugar, you may need to take medicines that are usually used to treat diabetes, such as metformin (one brand: Glucophage), rosiglitazone (one brand: Avandia), or pioglitazone (one brand: Actos). If you have excessive hair growth, you may need to take spironolactone (one brand: Aldactone) or use eflornithine cream (one brand: Vaniqa) on your face. If you have irregular periods, birth control pills may help to make your cycles more regular. If you have trouble getting pregnant, you may need to take a fertility drug, such as clomiphene (one brand: Clomid), or other medicines recommended by your doctor.

Where can I learn more about PCOS?

American Academy of Family Physicians

Web site:

Polycystic Ovarian Syndrome Association

Web site:

This handout is provided to you by your family doctor and the American Academy of Family Physicians. Other health-related information is available from the AAFP online at

This information provides a general overview and may not apply to everyone. Talk to your family doctor to find out if this information applies to you and to get more information on this subject.


Copyright © 2009 by the American Academy of Family Physicians.
This content is owned by the AAFP. A person viewing it online may make one printout of the material and may use that printout only for his or her personal, non-commercial reference. This material may not otherwise be downloaded, copied, printed, stored, transmitted or reproduced in any medium, whether now known or later invented, except as authorized in writing by the AAFP. Contact for copyright questions and/or permission requests.

Want to use this article elsewhere? Get Permissions


Apr 15, 2021

Access the latest issue of American Family Physician

Read the Issue

Email Alerts

Don't miss a single issue. Sign up for the free AFP email table of contents.

Sign Up Now

Navigate this Article