Wednesday, June 20 - Saturday, June 23, 2018 | San Diego (La Jolla), CA
Care of Cardiovascular Conditions Live Course
Save $100 when you register by May 23.
Help stop the #1 killer of adults in America. Discover new ways to treat and manage your patients with cardiovascular conditions with clinical topics including hypertension updates, smoking cessation strategies, valvular heart disease, and more.
Attend Care of Cardiovascular Conditions
Wednesday, June 20 - Saturday, June 23, 2018
San Diego (La Jolla), CA
Hyatt Regency La Jolla at Aventine
EARLY BIRD REGISTRATION DISCOUNT AVAILABLE THROUGH
MAY 23, 2018.
Early Bird $795
Early Bird $745
Student or Resident
Early Bird $545
Early Bird $795
Early Bird $1,095
Earning CME Credit
At the end of this course, you will be able to:
- Assess cardiovascular risk in patients, and formulate strategies to educate and counsel patients on behavior modification to reduce the degree of risk.
- Construct evidence-based strategies to diagnose and manage common cardiovascular conditions, including: heart failure, coronary artery disease, hypertension and lipid disorders, cardiomyopathy, atrial fibrillation and other dysrhythmias, vascular disease, venous thromboembolic disease, and more.
- Communicate effectively to ensure patient understanding of diagnosis and treatment recommendations, including ongoing follow-up care as applicable.
- Recognize when to refer or consult with other specialists to provide optimal patient care.
Download the complete schedule(4 page PDF), which includes session times, topics, and faculty.
|Wednesday, June 20, 2018|
|Wednesday, June 20, 2018 : 6:30 - 7:30 a.m.||Registration/Hot Breakfast Provided|
|Wednesday, June 20, 2018 : 7:30 a.m. - 12:15 p.m.||General Sessions|
|Wednesday, June 20, 2018 : 12:15 - 1:45 p.m.||Lunch on Your Own|
|Wednesday, June 20, 2018 : 1:45 - 5:00 p.m.||General Sessions|
|Thursday, June 21, 2018|
|Thursday, June 21, 2018: 7:00 - 8:00 a.m.||Hot Breakfast Provided|
|Thursday, June 21, 2018: 8:00 a.m. - 12:15 p.m.||General Sessions|
|Thursday, June 21, 2018: 12:15 - 1:45 p.m.||Lunch on Your Own|
|Thursday, June 21, 2018: 1:45 - 4:45 p.m.||Clinical Procedural Workshops*|
|Friday, June 22, 2018|
|Friday, June 22, 2018 : 7:00 - 8:00 a.m.||Hot Breakfast Provided|
|Friday, June 22, 2018 : 8:00 a.m. - 12:30 p.m.||General Sessions|
|Friday, June 22, 2018 : 12:30 - 1:45 p.m.||Lunch on Your Own|
|Friday, June 22, 2018 : 1:45 - 4:45 p.m.||Clinical Procedural Workshops*|
|Saturday, June 23, 2018|
|Saturday, June 23, 2018 : 7:00 - 8:00 a.m.||Hot Breakfast Provided|
|Saturday, June 23, 2018 : 8:00 a.m. - 12:15 p.m.||General Sessions|
|Saturday, June 23, 2018 : 12:15 p.m.||Course Adjourn|
*Separate registration and fee required.
Note: Times are subject to change.
- Cardiac Dysrhythmias (Part 1: Atrial Dysrhythmias; Part 2: Ventricular Dysrhythmias)
- Cardiac Imaging & Stress Testing
- Cardiac Rehabilitation
- Cardiovascular Risk Reduction
- Chronic Kidney Disease
- Dyslipidemia: Screening & Management
- Heart Failure: Diagnosis and Management
- Hypertension: Screening and Management
- Ischemic Heart Disease/Acute Coronary Syndrome
- Palliative Management of Heart Failure
- Pediatric Heart Murmurs
- Pediatric Hypertension
- Peripheral Arterial Disease (PAD)
- Perioperative Risk Evaluation
- Pulmonary Hypertension
- Sleep Apnea & Heart Disease
- Smoking Cessation Strategies
- Sudden Cardiac Death: Screening & Prevention
- Syncope: Case Study
- Case Studies
- Type 2 Diabetes Mellitus-Prediabetes (SDH)
- Valvular Heart Disease
- Vascular Emergencies (DVT/PE)
How to Add Clinical Procedural Workshops
Separate registration and fee required to attend a clinical procedural workshop. Seats are limited and are only available to course registrants. Select a workshop during online registration.
Already registered for the course? You may now edit your registration online to add a procedural workshop session. Register now »
ECG Interpretation (Basic and Advanced)
(#101) Thursday, June 21, 2018, 1:45 - 4:45 p.m. or
(#104) Friday, June 22, 2018, 1:45 - 4:45 p.m.
- Describe the normal cardiac anatomy and physiology, and normal electrical conduction through the heart.
- Recognize various dysrhythmias on ECG and relate cause, significance, symptoms and treatment.
- Apply basic ECG interpretation skills to advanced rhythms including heart block, tachyarrhythmias, and others.
- Discuss clinical management of patients experiencing abnormal ECG rhythms.
Cardiovascular Ultrasound: LVEF, AAA, and ABI
(#102) Thursday, June 21, 2018, 1:45 - 4:45 p.m. or
(#103) Friday, June 22, 2018, 1:45 - 4:45 p.m.
- Evaluate the evidence surrounding the use of cardiovascular ultrasound in primary, urgent, and emergency care settings to evaluate LV function, abdominal aortic aneurysm, and ankle-brachial index
- Demonstrate proper technique in the assessment of Left Ventricular Ejection Fraction (LVEF).
- Point out ultrasound findings that indicate a diagnosis of AAA.
- Determine the Ankle-Brachial Index (ABI) in the evaluation for Peripheral Artery Disease.
Eddie Needham, MD, FAAFP, Course Chair, Program Director, Florida Hospital Family Medicine Residency; Associate Professor, University of Central Florida College of Medicine; Clinical Associate Professor, Florida State University College of Medicine; Centre for Family Medicine, Winter Park, Florida
Jennifer Brull, MD, FAAFP, Private Practice, Plainville, Kansas
Jonathon Firnhaber, MD, FAAFP, Associate Professor, Residency Director, Department of Family Medicine, Brody School of Medicine at East Carolina University, Greenville, North Carolina
Clare Hawkins, MD, MSC, FAAFP, Lead Physician, Aspire Healthcare Texas & Louisiana; Chair of Subcommittee on Clinical Practice Guidelines; Member, Commission of Health of Public and Science, AAFP
Katherine Kirley, MD, Director of Diabetes and Cardiovascular Disease Prevention, American Medical Association, Chicago, Illinois
Mark Shaffer, MD, Assistant Professor of Family and Preventive Medicine, University of South Carolina School of Medicine; Medical Director, John A. Martin Primary Health Care Center, Winnsboro, South Carolina
Registration includes online access to the syllabus and other on-site resources one week before the course. A hard copy of the syllabus may be purchased for $60 when registering for the course. A limited number of syllabuses will be available for purchase on site. Additional information will be provided by email after you register.
The following hotel is available for accommodations during this course. Contact the hotel to make arrangements for your stay.
Hyatt Regency La Jolla at Aventine(aws.passkey.com)
3777 La Jolla Village Drive
San Diego, CA 92122
Phone: (888) 421-1442
$205 Single/Double Occupancy
+ current tax rate
Accommodation Cutoff -- May 23, 2018
Note: A limited number of rooms at the discounted group rate are available for conference registrants on a first-come, first-served basis, and cannot be guaranteed by the AAFP.
About Hotel Reservations
- Reservations made after May 23, 2018, will be confirmed on a rate and space available basis. The conference rate is not guaranteed for reservations made after this date.
- Hyatt Regency La Jolla at Aventine guarantees reservation by credit card. Credit cards will not be charged prior to the scheduled arrival date.
- Reservations may be cancelled up to 24 hours prior to arrival without penalty.
This live activity, Care of the Cardiovascular Conditions, with a beginning date of June 20, 2018, has been reviewed and is acceptable for up to 25.5 Prescribed credits by the American Academy of Family Physicians. Physicians should claim only the credit commensurate with the extent of their participation in the activity.
The AAFP is accredited by the Accreditation Council for Continuing Medical Education (ACCME) to provide continuing medical education for physicians.
The American Academy of Family Physicians designates this live activity for a maximum of 25.5 AMA PRA Category 1 CreditsTM. Physicians should claim only the credit commensurate with the extent of their participation in the activity.
CME activities approved for AAFP credit are recognized by the AOA as equivalent to AOA Category 2 credit.
View more credit agreements »