Wednesday, November 13 - Saturday, November 16, 2019 | San Diego (La Jolla), CA
Care of Chronic Conditions Live Course
Register by October 15 to save $100
Care of Chronic Conditions offers everything you need to stay current in your practice. Learn the latest information on the skills you use every day in sessions about, atrial fibrillation, hypertension, stroke prevention, preventive care for the LGBTQ population, and more.
Care of Chronic Conditions
November 13-16, 2019
San Diego (La Jolla), CA
Hyatt Regency La Jolla at Aventine
Early Bird $895
Early Bird $845
Student or Resident
Early Bird $645
Early Bird $895
Early Bird $1,195
Early bird date ends October 15, 2019.
Approved for up to 26.5 AAFP Prescribed credits:
Course: up to 20.5 Prescribed credits
Optional Sessions: up to 6 Prescribed credits or
PCSS-MAT Waiver Training: 8 Elective credits
Additional fees and registration apply for optional sessions and the PCSS-MAT Waiver Training. View CME credit statements»
At the end of this course, you will be able to:
- Prepare effective plans to diagnose, treat and manage chronic diseases.
- Formulate strategies to educate and counsel patients on behavior modification of factors such as nutrition, physical activity, smoking and alcohol use.
- Utilize strategies to help patients overcome barriers to change in relation to chronic diseases, including cultural competency, literacy skills and access to services or care.
- Implement tools to manage chronic care in practice and help patients control chronic illnesses, which may include practice transformation and/or quality improvement activities.
Download the complete schedule(4 page PDF), which includes session times, topics, and faculty.
|Wednesday, November 13|
|Wednesday, November 13 : 6:45 - 7:55 a.m.||Registration/Hot Breakfast Provided|
|Wednesday, November 13 : 7:55 a.m. - 12:00 p.m.||General Sessions|
|Wednesday, November 13 : 12:00 - 1:30 p.m.||Lunch on Your Own|
|Wednesday, November 13 : 1:30 - 5:30 p.m.||General Sessions|
|Thursday, November 14|
|Thursday, November 14: 7:00 - 7:55 a.m.||Hot Breakfast Provided|
|Thursday, November 14: 7:55 a.m. - 12:30 p.m.||General Sessions|
|Thursday, November 14: 12:30 - 2:00 p.m.||Lunch on Your Own|
|Thursday, November 14: 2:00 - 6:15 p.m.||Optional Sessions*|
|Friday, November 15|
|Friday, November 15: 7:00 - 7:55 a.m.||Hot Breakfast Provided|
|Friday, November 15: 7:55 a.m. - 12:45 p.m.||General Sessions|
|Friday, November 15: 12:45 - 2:00 p.m.||Lunch on Your Own|
|Friday, November 15: 2:00 - 6:15 p.m.||Optional Sessions*|
|Saturday, November 16|
|Saturday, November 16 : 7:00 - 7:55 a.m.||Hot Breakfast Provided|
|Saturday, November 16 : 7:55 a.m. - 12:30 p.m.||General Sessions|
|Saturday, November 16 : 12:30 p.m.||Course Adjourn|
*Separate registration and fee required.
Note: Times are subject to change.
- Alzheimer’s Dementia
- Atrial Fibrillation
- Billing, Coding and Payment Reform
- Cardiovascular Disease
- Childhood Obesity
- Chronic Back Pain Management – Case Study
- Chronic Kidney Disease
- Chronic Obstructive Pulmonary Disease
- Depression Screening & Management
- Diabetes Updates
- Dizziness & Vertigo
- High Risk Medication Use in the Elderly and Deprescribing
- Hyper & Hypothyroidism
- Hypertension Update
- Immunizations: 2019 ACIP Update
- Opioid Therapy – Update on the 2018 Surgeon General’s Report
- Osteoporosis & Osteopenia
- Physician Wellness: Management of the Difficult Patient
- Preventive Care for the LGBTQ Population
- Recurrent Stroke Prevention
How to Add Optional Sessions
Separate registration and fee required to attend a session. Seats are limited and are only available to course registrants. Select a session during online registration.
Already registered for the course? You may now edit your registration online to add a session. Register now »
(#101) Thursday, November 14, 2:00 p.m.- 5:00 p.m. or
(#103) Friday, November 15, 2:00 p.m.- 5:00 p.m.
- Describe the normal cardiac anatomy and physiology, and normal electrical conduction through the heart.
- Recognize various dysrhythmias on ECG and relate cause, significance, symptoms and treatment.
- Apply basic ECG interpretation skills to advanced rhythms including heart block, tachyarrhythmias, and others.
- Discuss clinical management of patients experiencing abnormal ECG rhythms.
(#102) Thursday, November 14, 2:00 p.m.- 5:00 p.m. or
(#104) Friday, November 15, 2:00 p.m.- 5:00 p.m.
- Discuss the diagnostic and therapeutic rationale for joint injections being performed.
- Explain the risks and benefits of joint injections.
- Describe appropriate equipment/supplies for performing joint injections.
- Using models, perform joint injections.
PCSS-MAT Waiver Training (Thursday and Friday)
(#105) Thursday, November 14, 2:00 p.m. - 6:15 p.m. AND Friday, November 15, 2:00 p.m. - 6:15 p.m.
AAFP is working with American Academy of Addiction Psychiatry (AAAP) to provide this 8 hour MAT waiver training for providers.
PCSS-MAT offers free 8 hour MAT waiver training for providers to prescribe medication for the treatment of opioid use disorder. Physicians require 8 hours of training on medication-assisted treatment (MAT) to obtain a waiver from the Drug Enforcement Agency to prescribe buprenorphine, one of three medications approved by the FDA for the treatment of opioid use disorder. Physician assistants and nurse practitioners must also take the 8 hour MAT waiver training and an additional 16 hours of training, all provided by PCSS-MAT.
PCSS-MAT is a national training and clinical mentoring project developed in response to the opioid use disorder crisis. Learn more about the training(pcssnow.org).
Connecting Measures to Practice Improvement
(#106) Thursday, November 14, 2:00 p.m. - 5:00 p.m.
- Evaluate their practice performance using clinical metrics common to chronic conditions.
- Design and implement an action plan to close gaps in patient care.
- Remeasure performance after implementing the action plan.
- Define an ongoing strategy to maintain gains made and continue to close the gap for the measure.
Successful completion of all activity requirements will meet your ABFM performance improvement certification requirement. CME credit is not offered for this activity.
David T. Walsworth, MD, FAAFP, Course Chair; Associate Chair for Clinical Affairs, Associate Professor, Department of Family Medicine, College of Human Medicine, Michigan State University, East Lansing, Michigan
Jonathon Firnhaber, MD, FAAFP, Associate Professor, Residency Director, Department of Family Medicine, Brody School of Medicine at East Carolina University, Greenville, North Carolina
Alvin B. Lin, MD, PLLC, Private Practice, Las Vegas, Nevada
Lauren Denee Oshman, MD, MPH, FAAFP, Clinical Assistant Professor, Northshore Medical Group, Glenview, Illinois
Kathleen Rowland, MD, MS, FAAFP, Rush-Copley Family Medicine Residency, Assistant Professor, Rush University
David M. Schneider, MD, FAAFP, Faculty Physician/Team Leader/Didactics Director/Procedures Director, Santa Rosa Family Medicine Residency, Clinical Professor of Family and Community Medicine, UCSF, Santa Rosa, California
Registration includes online access to the full-color syllabus and other on-site resources one week before the course. A hard copy of the full-color syllabus may be purchased for $79.95 when registering for the course. A limited number of syllabuses will be available for purchase on site. Additional information will be provided by email after you register.
The following hotel is available for accommodations during this course. Contact the hotel to make arrangements for your stay. Making reservations early is encouraged.
Hyatt Regency La Jolla at Aventine
3777 La Jolla Village Drive
San Diego, CA 92122
Phone: (877) 803-7534
Rate: $200 Single/Double Occupancy
+ current tax rate
Accommodation Cutoff -- October 15, 2019
Close to the airport for easy in and out, Hyatt Regency La Jolla at Aventine is minutes from the beach and downtown La Jolla.
Note: A limited number of rooms at the discounted group rate are available for conference registrants on a first-come, first-served basis, and cannot be guaranteed by the AAFP.
About Hotel Reservations
- Reservations made after October 15, 2019, will be confirmed on a rate and space available basis. The conference rate is not guaranteed for reservations made after this date.
- Hyatt Regency La Jolla at Aventine guarantees reservation by credit card. Credit cards will not be charged prior to scheduled arrival date.
- Reservations may be cancelled without charge up to 24 hours prior to arrival.
- Complimentary wireless internet access in guest rooms
- Complimentary access to fitness center
- 50% discount on parking
This Live activity, Care of Chronic Conditions, with a beginning date of November 13, 2019, has been reviewed and is acceptable for up to 26.5 Prescribed credits by the American Academy of Family Physicians. Physicians should claim only the credit commensurate with the extent of their participation in the activity.
The AAFP is accredited by the Accreditation Council for Continuing Medical Education (ACCME) to provide continuing medical education for physicians.
The American Academy of Family Physicians designates this Live activity for a maximum of 26.5 AMA PRA Category 1 CreditsTM. Physicians should claim only the credit commensurate with the extent of their participation in the activity.
CME activities approved for AAFP credit are recognized by the AOA as equivalent to AOA Category 2 credit.
View more credit agreements »