Wednesday, July 17 - Saturday, July 20, 2019 | Providence, RI
Emergency and Urgent Care Live Course
Save $100 when you register by June 15.
Improve patient satisfaction while learning the latest required emergency care updates. Learn best practices on relevant clinical topics, including stroke, vascular emergencies, cellulitis, sports injuries, and more.
Attend Emergency and Urgent Care
Wednesday, July 17 - Saturday, July 20, 2019
Rhode Island Convention Center
EARLY BIRD Fee
June 15, 2019.
Early Bird $895
Early Bird $845
Student or Resident
Early Bird $645
Early Bird $895
Early Bird $1,195
Approved for up to 27.75 AAFP Prescribed credits - 20 for attending the course and another 7.75 for participating in optional sessions (additional fees and registration apply). View all statements and agreements »
At the end of this course, you will be able to:
- Prepare treatment plans for patients who present to emergency departments and/or urgent care clinics.
- Evaluate, diagnose, and treat patients with acute health needs affecting any number of body systems, including cardiovascular, respiratory, neurological, maternity, psychological, or musculoskeletal conditions.
- Incorporate emergency plans into practice, including written protocols and necessary equipment/tools for treatment.
|Wednesday, July 17|
|Wednesday, July 17 : 6:30 - 7:30 a.m.||Registration/Hot Breakfast Provided|
|Wednesday, July 17 : 7:30 a.m. - 12:15 p.m.||General Sessions|
|Wednesday, July 17 : 12:15 - 1:45 p.m.||Lunch on Your Own|
|Wednesday, July 17 : 1:45 - 5:00 p.m.||General Sessions|
|Thursday, July 18|
|Thursday, July 18: 7:00 - 7:40 a.m.||Hot Breakfast Provided|
|Thursday, July 18: 7:40 a.m. - 12:15 p.m.||General Sessions|
|Thursday, July 18: 12:15 - 1:30 p.m.||Lunch on Your Own|
|Thursday, July 18: 1:30 - 6:00 p.m.||Optional Sessions*|
|Friday, July 19|
|Friday, July 19: 7:00 - 7:40 a.m.||Hot Breakfast Provided|
|Friday, July 19: 7:40 a.m. - 12:15 p.m.||General Sessions|
|Friday, July 19: 12:15 - 1:30 p.m.||Lunch on Your Own|
|Friday, July 19: 1:30 - 6:00 p.m.||Optional Sessions*|
|Saturday, July 20|
|Saturday, July 20 : 7:00 - 7:40 a.m.||Hot Breakfast Provided|
|Saturday, July 20 : 7:40 a.m. - 12:15 p.m.||General Sessions|
|Saturday, July 20 : 12:15 p.m.||Course Adjourn|
* Separate registration and fee required.
Note: Times are subject to change.
- Animal Bites and Stings
- Best Practices Recap
- Care of Transgender Patients in the ER & UC
- Cellulitis and Cellulitis Mimics
- Common Skin Rashes
- Dental Pain and Injuries
- Dizziness and Vertigo
- Dysuria and Urinary Tract Infections
- Electrolyte Imbalance – Magnesium, Potassium, Sodium, Calcium
- Fatal Headaches
- Gastrointestinal Emergencies – Acute Abdominal Pain
- HIV Prophylaxis Guidelines
- International Traveler Disease Recognition Update
- Interventions to Abandon in the ER/UC
- Metacognition and Medical Decision Making: Taking Steps to Avoid Bias
- OB Emergencies
- Patient Satisfaction and Health Care Literacy
- Pediatric Emergencies
- Pediatric Fevers
- Physician Wellness: Tools to Combat Burn-out
- RSV Bronchiolitis
- STOP Sports Injuries: Pediatric Overuse Injury Prevention and Treatment
- Stroke and Stroke Mimics
- Stump the Expert – Panel Discussion
- Top 10 Hot Topics this Year
- Vascular Emergencies
How to Add Optional Sessions
Separate registration and fee required to attend an optional session. Seats are limited and are only available to course registrants. Select a session during online registration.
Already registered for the course? You may now edit your registration online to add a optional session. Register now »
ECG Interpretation (Basic)
(#101) Thursday, July 18, 1:30 – 5:30 p.m.
- Describe the normal cardiac anatomy and physiology, and normal electrical conduction through the heart.
- Recognize various dysrhythmias on ECG and relate cause, significance, symptoms and treatment.
Point of Care Ultrasound (Basic Skills & FAST Exam)
(#102) Thursday, July 18, 1:30 – 3:30 p.m. or
(#105) Friday, July 19, 1:30 – 3:30 p.m.
- Identify the most common conditions and injuries that are detectable with ultrasound.
- Explain how bedside ultrasound may be used to reduce the time to actionable diagnosis.
- Show the regions and probe positions of the FAST exam.
- Interpret diagnostic imaging results and render treatment accordingly.
Point of Care Ultrasound (Vascular Access)
(#103) Thursday, July 18, 4:00 – 6:00 p.m. or
(#106) Friday, July 19, 4:00 – 6:00 p.m.
- Explain the benefits and applications for ultrasound-guided vascular access
- Demonstrate equipment set-up and probe positioning
- Demonstrate proper needle guidance technique
ECG Interpretation (Advanced)
(#104) Friday, July 19, 1:30 – 5:30 p.m.
- Apply basic ECG interpretation skills to advanced rhythms including heart block, tachyarrhythmias, and rhythms in cardiac arrest.
- Discuss clinical management of patients experiencing abnormal ECG rhythms
Registration includes online access to the full-color syllabus and other on-site resources one week before the course. A hard copy of the full-color syllabus may be purchased for $79.95 when registering for the course. A limited number of syllabuses will be available for purchase on site. Additional information will be provided by email after you register.
The course will be taking place at the Rhode Island Convention Center. The following hotel is connected to the convention center and is available for accommodations during this course. Contact the hotel to make arrangements for your stay. Making reservations early is encouraged.
Omni Providence Hotel(www.omnihotels.com)
1 West Exchange Street
Providence, RI 02903
Phone: (800) 809-6664
Rate: $209 Single/Double Occupancy
+ current tax rate
Accommodation Cutoff -- June 15, 2019
This landmark hotel in Providence is connected to the Rhode Island Convention Center, Dunkin’ Donuts Center and the new Providence Place Mall. With this premier Downtown Providence hotel location, guests at Omni Providence Hotel will find themselves within walking distance of the city's main college campuses, historic attractions, gourmet restaurants, upscale shopping, entertainment and more.
Note: A limited number of rooms at the discounted group rate are available for conference registrants on a first-come, first-served basis, and cannot be guaranteed by the AAFP.
ABOUT HOTEL RESERVATIONS
- Reservations made after June 15, 2019, will be confirmed on a rate and space available basis. The conference rate is not guaranteed for reservations made after this date.
- Omni Providence Hotel guarantees reservation by credit card. Credit cards will not be charged prior to scheduled arrival date.
- Reservations may be cancelled without charge up to 24 hours prior to arrival.
- Complimentary internet access in guest rooms
- Complimentary access to fitness center
This Live activity, Emergency and Urgent Care, with a beginning date of July 17, 2019, has been reviewed and is acceptable for up to 27.75 Prescribed credits by the American Academy of Family Physicians. Physicians should claim only the credit commensurate with the extent of their participation in the activity.
The AAFP is accredited by the Accreditation Council for Continuing Medical Education (ACCME) to provide continuing medical education for physicians.
The American Academy of Family Physicians designates this Live activity for a maximum of 27.75 AMA PRA Category 1 CreditsTM. Physicians should claim only the credit commensurate with the extent of their participation in the activity.
CME activities approved for AAFP credit are recognized by the AOA as equivalent to AOA Category 2 credit.
View more credit agreements »