Wednesday, October 9 - Saturday, October 12, 2019 | San Antonio, TX
Emergency and Urgent Care Live Course
Save $100 when you register by September 7.
Improve patient satisfaction, while learning the latest required emergency care updates. Learn best practices on relevant clinical topics, including pediatric fevers, medical and legal considerations, stroke, vascular emergencies, cellulitis, and more.
Attend Emergency and Urgent Care
Wednesday, October 9 - Saturday, October 12, 2019
San Antonio, TX
Hyatt Regency Hill Country Resort and Spa
EARLY BIRD Fee
September 7, 2019.
Can't attend the live event? Register here for the streaming course.
Early Bird $895
Early Bird $845
Student or Resident
Early Bird $645
Early Bird $895
Early Bird $1,195
Approved for up to 27.75 AAFP Prescribed credits - 20 for attending the course and another 7.75 for participating in optional sessions (additional fees and registration apply). View all statements and agreements »
At the end of this course, you will be able to:
- Prepare treatment plans for patients who present to emergency departments and/or urgent care clinics.
- Evaluate, diagnose, and treat patients with acute health needs affecting any number of body systems, including cardiovascular, respiratory, neurological, maternity, psychological, or musculoskeletal conditions.
- Incorporate emergency plans into practice, including written protocols and necessary equipment/tools for treatment.
|Wednesday, October 9|
|Wednesday, October 9 : 6:30 - 7:30 a.m.||Registration/Hot Breakfast Provided|
|Wednesday, October 9 : 7:30 a.m. - 12:15 p.m.||General Sessions|
|Wednesday, October 9 : 12:15 - 1:45 p.m.||Lunch on Your Own|
|Wednesday, October 9 : 1:45 - 5:00 p.m.||General Sessions|
|Thursday, October 10|
|Thursday, October 10: 7:00 - 7:40 a.m.||Hot Breakfast Provided|
|Thursday, October 10: 7:40 a.m. - 12:15 p.m.||General Sessions|
|Thursday, October 10: 12:15 - 1:30 p.m.||Lunch on Your Own|
|Thursday, October 10: 1:30 - 6:00 p.m.||Optional Sessions*|
|Friday, October 11|
|Friday, October 11: 7:00 - 7:40 a.m.||Hot Breakfast Provided|
|Friday, October 11: 7:40 a.m. - 12:15 p.m.||General Sessions|
|Friday, October 11: 12:15 - 1:30 p.m.||Lunch on Your Own|
|Friday, October 11: 1:30 - 6:00 p.m.||Optional Sessions*|
|Saturday, October 12|
|Saturday, October 12 : 7:00 - 7:40 a.m.||Hot Breakfast Provided|
|Saturday, October 12 : 7:40 a.m. - 12:15 p.m.||General Sessions|
|Saturday, October 12 : 12:15 p.m.||Course Adjourn|
* Separate registration and fee required.
Note: Times are subject to change.
- Animal Bites and Stings
- Best Practices Recap
- Care of Transgender Patients in the ER & UC
- Cellulitis and Cellulitis Mimics
- Common Skin Rashes
- Dental Pain and Injuries
- Dizziness and Vertigo
- Dysuria and Urinary Tract Infections
- Electrolyte Imbalance – Magnesium, Potassium, Sodium, Calcium
- Fatal Headaches
- Gastrointestinal Emergencies – Acute Abdominal Pain
- HIV Prophylaxis Guidelines
- International Traveler Disease Recognition Update
- Interventions to Abandon in the ER/UC
- Metacognition and Medical Decision Making: Taking Steps to Avoid Bias
- OB Emergencies
- Patient Satisfaction and Health Care Literacy
- Pediatric Emergencies
- Pediatric Fevers
- Physician Wellness: Tools to Combat Burn-out
- Reducing Inappropriate Antibiotic Usage
- RSV Bronchiolitis
- Stroke and Stroke Mimics
- Stump the Expert – Panel Discussion
- Top 10 Hot Topics this Year
- Vascular Emergencies
How to Add Optional Sessions
Separate registration and fee required to attend an optional session. Seats are limited and are only available to course registrants. Select a session during online registration.
Already registered for the course? You may now edit your registration online to add a optional session. Register now »
ECG Interpretation (Basic)
(#101) Thursday, October 10, 1:30 – 5:30 p.m.
- Describe the normal cardiac anatomy and physiology, and normal electrical conduction through the heart.
- Recognize various dysrhythmias on ECG and relate cause, significance, symptoms and treatment.
Point of Care Ultrasound (Basic Skills & FAST Exam)
(#102) Thursday, October 10, 1:30 – 3:30 p.m. or
(#105) Friday, October 11, 1:30 – 3:30 p.m.
- Identify the most common conditions and injuries that are detectable with ultrasound.
- Explain how bedside ultrasound may be used to reduce the time to actionable diagnosis.
- Show the regions and probe positions of the FAST exam.
- Interpret diagnostic imaging results and render treatment accordingly.
Point of Care Ultrasound (Vascular Access)
(#103) Thursday, October 10, 4:00 – 6:00 p.m. or
(#106) Friday, October 11, 4:00 – 6:00 p.m.
- Explain the benefits and applications for ultrasound-guided vascular access
- Demonstrate equipment set-up and probe positioning
- Demonstrate proper needle guidance technique
ECG Interpretation (Advanced)
(#104) Friday, October 11, 1:30 – 5:30 p.m.
- Apply basic ECG interpretation skills to advanced rhythms including heart block, tachyarrhythmias, and rhythms in cardiac arrest.
- Discuss clinical management of patients experiencing abnormal ECG rhythms
Registration includes online access to the full-color syllabus and other on-site resources one week before the course. A hard copy of the full-color syllabus may be purchased for $79.95 when registering for the course. A limited number of syllabuses will be available for purchase on site. Additional information will be provided by email after you register.
The following hotel is available for accommodations during this course. Contact the hotel to make arrangements for your stay. Making reservations early is encouraged.
Hyatt Regency Hill Country Resort and Spa(www.hyatt.com)
9800 Hyatt Resort Drive
San Antonio, TX 78251
Phone: (877) 803-7534
Rate: $209 Single/Double Occupancy
+ $10 resort fee per night
+ current tax rate
Accommodation Cutoff -- September 7, 2019
Nestled on 300 acres of historic ranch land, the San Antonio resort and spa offers a unique blend of countryside relaxation and casual elegance. Experience Texas-sized hospitality with the inviting charm of a country ranch house, and the amenities of a luxury resort. Enjoy a retreat that feels a world away, but is conveniently located just 20 minutes from the San Antonio airport and River Walk.
Note: A limited number of rooms at the discounted group rate are available for conference registrants on a first-come, first-served basis, and cannot be guaranteed by the AAFP.
ABOUT HOTEL RESERVATIONS
- Reservations made after September 7, 2019, will be confirmed on a rate and space available basis. The conference rate is not guaranteed for reservations made after this date.
- Hyatt Regency Hill Country Resort and Spa guarantees reservation by credit card. Credit cards will not be charged prior to scheduled arrival date.
- Reservations may be cancelled without charge up to 72 hours prior to arrival.
- Reduced resort fee of $10 (standard $35) per night
- Complimentary internet access in guest rooms
- Complimentary access to fitness center
- Daily newspaper delivery
- Golf bag storage and preferred golf tee times
- Unlimited use of golf practice facilities and chipping green
- 10% discount on golf rounds and spa treatments
- Tennis courts and bicycles
- Guest laundry facilities
This Live activity, Emergency and Urgent Care, with a beginning date of October 9, 2019, has been reviewed and is acceptable for up to 27.75 Prescribed credits by the American Academy of Family Physicians. Physicians should claim only the credit commensurate with the extent of their participation in the activity.
The AAFP is accredited by the Accreditation Council for Continuing Medical Education (ACCME) to provide continuing medical education for physicians.
The American Academy of Family Physicians designates this Live activity for a maximum of 27.75 AMA PRA Category 1 CreditsTM. Physicians should claim only the credit commensurate with the extent of their participation in the activity.
CME activities approved for AAFP credit are recognized by the AOA as equivalent to AOA Category 2 credit.
View more credit agreements »