Wednesday, December 4 - Saturday, December 7, 2019 | Fort Myers, FL
Geriatric Medicine Live Course
Save $100 when you register by November 4.
Geriatric Medicine offers everything you need to stay current in your practice. Learn the latest information on the skills you use every day.
December 4 - 7, 2019
Fort Myers, FL
Sanibel Harbour Marriott Resort & Spa
Early Bird $895
Early Bird $845
Student or Resident
Early Bird $645
Early Bird $895
Early Bird $1,195
Early bird ends November 4, 2019.
Approved for up to 26 AAFP Prescribed credits - 20 for attending the course and another 6 for participating in the optional sessions (additional fees and registration apply) View CME credit statements»
At the end of this course, you will be able to:
- Improve adherence to evidence-based clinical guidelines in practice.
- Construct evidence-based strategies to diagnose, treat and manage common clinical conditions seen among the geriatric population.
- Demonstrate ability to communicate effectively with the patient to ensure that diagnosis and treatment recommendations are understood.
- Recognize when to refer to, or consult with, other specialists to provide optimal patient care.
Download the complete schedule(4 page PDF), which includes session times, topics, and faculty.
|Wednesday, December 4|
|Wednesday, December 4 : 6:45 - 7:30 a.m.||Registration/Hot Breakfast Provided|
|Wednesday, December 4 : 7:30 a.m. - 12:00 p.m.||General Sessions|
|Wednesday, December 4 : 12:00 - 1:45 p.m.||Lunch on Your Own|
|Wednesday, December 4 : 1:45 - 5:30 p.m.||General Sessions|
|Thursday, December 5|
|Thursday, December 5: 6:45 - 7:40 a.m.||Hot Breakfast Provided|
|Thursday, December 5: 7:40 a.m. - 12:30 p.m.||General Sessions|
|Thursday, December 5: 12:30 - 1:45 p.m.||Lunch on Your Own|
|Thursday, December 5: 1:45 - 4:45 p.m.||Optional Sessions*|
|Friday, December 6|
|Friday, December 6: 6:45 - 7:40 a.m.||Hot Breakfast Provided|
|Friday, December 6: 7:40 a.m. - 12:15 p.m.||General Sessions|
|Friday, December 6: 12:15 - 1:45 p.m.||Lunch on Your Own|
|Friday, December 6: 1:45 - 4:45 p.m.||Optional Sessions*|
|Saturday, December 7|
|Saturday, December 7 : 6:45 - 7:40 a.m.||Hot Breakfast Provided|
|Saturday, December 7 : 7:40 - 11:45 a.m.||General Sessions|
|Saturday, December 7 : 11:45 a.m.||Course Adjourn|
*Separate registration and fee required.
Note: Times are subject to change.
- Alzheimer’s Dementia: Diagnosis and Management
- Anticoagulants for VTE Prevention and Treatment
- Atrial Fibrillation
- Billing, Coding and Payment Reform
- Benign Prostatic Hyperplasia (BPH) and Prostate Update
- Chronic Obstructive Pulmonary Disease
- Chronic Pain in Older Adults
- Depression Screening and Management
- Diabetes Update
- Elder Abuse and Neglect
- End-of-Life Care
- Exercise for the Geriatric Patient: Morbidity and Injury Prevention
- Geriatric Polypharmacy, High Risk Medication Use, and Deprescribing
- Heart Failure
- Hypertension Update
- Immunizations for Travel
- Nutrition Supplements and Herbal Therapies
- Parkinson Disease
- Sleep Disorders: Insomnia
- Statins: Recommendation Updates for Older Adults
- STEADI Initiative: Promoting Older Adult Health and Independence Through Fall Prevention
- Stroke and TIA
- Urinary Incontinence in Women
How to Add Optional Sessions
Separate registration and fee required to attend a session. Seats are limited and are only available to course registrants. Select a session during online registration.
Already registered for the course? You may now edit your registration online to add a session. Register now »
(#101) Thursday, December 5, 1:45 p.m. - 4:45 p.m. or
(#103) Friday, December 6, 1:45 p.m. - 4:45 p.m.
- Describe the normal cardiac anatomy and physiology, and normal electrical conduction through the heart.
- Recognize various dysrhythmias on ECG and relate cause, significance, symptoms and treatment.
- Apply basic ECG interpretation skills to advanced rhythms including heart block, tachyarrhythmias, and others.
- Discuss clinical management of patients experiencing abnormal ECG rhythms.
(#102) Thursday, December 5, 1:45 p.m. - 4:45 p.m. or
(#104) Friday, December 6, 1:45 p.m. - 4:45 p.m.
- Discuss the diagnostic and therapeutic rationale for joint injections being performed.
- Explain the risks and benefits of joint injections.
- Describe appropriate equipment/supplies for performing joint injections.
- Using models, perform joint injections.
Alvin B. Lin, MD, FAAFP – Course Chair; Solo Private Practice, Las Vegas, Nevada
Jonathan Adams, MD – PennState Health, Milton S. Hershey Medical Center; Penn State Medical Group Park Avenue, State College, Pennsylvania
Ariel Cole, MD, FAAFP – Director, Geriatric Medicine Fellowship, Assistant Director, Family Medicine Residency, Florida Hospital, Orlando; Geriatric Medicine Clerkship Director, Florida State University College of Medicine, Orlando, Florida
Alec O. DeCastro, MD, FAAFP – Assistant Professor, MUSC Department of Family Medicine, MUSC Health Sports medicine; Program Director, MUSC Trident Family Medicine Residency, Charleston, South Carolina
Lisa K. Price, MD – Senior Medical Director, Physician Health Partners, Denver, Colorado
William M. Simpson, Jr., MD, FAAFP – Emeritus Professor of Family Medicine, Medical University of South Carolina, Charleston, South Carolina
Registration includes online access to the full-color syllabus and other on-site resources one week before the course. A hard copy of the full-color syllabus may be purchased for $79.95 when registering for the course. A limited number of syllabuses will be available for purchase on site. Additional information will be provided by email after you register.
The following hotel is available for accommodations during this course. Contact the hotel to make arrangements for your stay. Making reservations early is encouraged.
Sanibel Harbour Marriott Resort & Spa(www.marriott.com)
17260 Harbour Pointe Drive
Fort Myers, FL 33908
Phone: (800) 767-7777
$177 Single/Double Occupancy
+ current tax rate
Accommodation Cutoff -- November 4, 2019
Sanibel Harbour Marriott Resort & Spa is just a short distance from both Sanibel and Captiva Islands, with their beautiful beaches and popular attractions. Nature lovers will be enchanted by the many opportunities to enjoy the outdoors near the resort - from natural trails and bike and kayak rentals to simply relaxing on a hammock and watching the sunset.
Note: A limited number of rooms at the discounted group rate are available for conference registrants on a first-come, first-served basis, and cannot be guaranteed by the AAFP.
About Hotel Reservations
- Reservations made after November 4, 2019, will be confirmed on a rate and space available basis. The conference rate is not guaranteed for reservations made after this date.
- Sanibel Harbour Marriott Resort & Spa guarantees reservation by credit card. Card cards will not be charged prior to the scheduled arrival date.
- Reservations may be cancelled without charge up to 4 days prior to arrival date.
- Nightly resort fee ($25) waived
- Complimentary internet in guest rooms
- Complimentary access to fitness center
- Complimentary overnight self-parking ($12)
This Live activity, Geriatric Medicine, with a beginning date of December 4, 2019, has been reviewed and is acceptable for up to 26 Prescribed credits by the American Academy of Family Physicians. Physicians should claim only the credit commensurate with the extent of their participation in the activity.
The AAFP is accredited by the Accreditation Council for Continuing Medical Education (ACCME) to provide continuing medical education for physicians.
The American Academy of Family Physicians designates this Live activity for a maximum of 26 AMA PRA Category 1 CreditsTM. Physicians should claim only the credit commensurate with the extent of their participation in the activity.
CME activities approved for AAFP credit are recognized by the AOA as equivalent to AOA Category 2 credit.
View more credit agreements »