Wednesday, October 4 - Saturday, October 7, 2017 | Myrtle Beach, SC
Geriatric Medicine Live Course
Register by September 6 to Save $100.
Improve care for your older patients and learn about common geriatric clinical problems, chronic diseases, and ways to improve quality of life. Further develop your adherence to evidence-based clinical guidelines in practice, effectively communicate diagnosis and treatment recommendations, and better construct strategies to diagnose, treat, and manage geriatric conditions.
Approved for up to 25 AAFP Prescribed credits; 25 AMA PRA Category 1 Credits™. Credits include clinical procedural workshops. View CME credit statements»
At the end of this course, you will be able to:
- Improve adherence to evidence-based clinical guidelines in practice.
- Construct evidence-based strategies to diagnose, treat and manage common clinical conditions seen among the geriatric population.
- Demonstrate ability to communicate effectively with the patient to ensure that diagnosis and treatment recommendations are understood.
- Recognize when to refer to, or consult with, other specialists to provide optimal patient care.
Attend Geriatric Medicine
Wednesday, October 4 - Saturday, October 7, 2017
Myrtle Beach, SC
Myrtle Beach Marriott Resort & Spa at Grande Dunes
Early bird registration discount available through September 6, 2017.
Early Bird $795
Early Bird $745
Student or Resident
Early Bird $545
Early Bird $795
Early Bird $1,095
Note: Topics are subject to change.
- Alzheimer’s Dementia: Diagnosis and Management
- Anticoagulation Update
- Billing, Coding and Payment Reform
- Benign Prostatic Hyperplasia (BPH) and Prostate Update
- Chronic Obstructive Pulmonary Disease (COPD)
- Chronic Pain
- Depression Screening and Management
- Diabetes Update
- Exercise for the Geriatric Patient: morbidity and injury prevention
- End-of-Life Care
- Geriatric Polypharmacy & High Risk Medication Use
- Heart Failure
- Hepatitis C
- Hypertension Update
- Immunizations Update
- Menopause / Hormone Replacement Therapy
- Nutrition Supplements and Herbal Therapies
- Parkinson’s Update
- Sleep Disorders: Insomnia
- Statins: Recommendation Updates
- Stroke and TIA: Case Study
- Urinary Incontinence in Women
|Wednesday, October 4, 2017|
|Wednesday, October 4, 2017 : 7:00 - 7:30 a.m.||Registration / Breakfast Provided|
|Wednesday, October 4, 2017 : 7:30 a.m. - 12:15 p.m.||General Sessions|
|Wednesday, October 4, 2017 : 12:15 - 1:45 p.m.||Lunch on Your Own|
|Wednesday, October 4, 2017 : 1:45 - 4:45 p.m.||General Sessions|
|Thursday, October 5, 2017|
|Thursday, October 5, 2017 : 7:00 - 8:00 a.m.||Breakfast Provided|
|Thursday, October 5, 2017 : 8:00 a.m. - 12:15 p.m.||General Sessions|
|Thursday, October 5, 2017 : 12:15 - 1:45 p.m.||Lunch on Your Own|
|Thursday, October 5, 2017 : 1:45 - 4:45 p.m.||Clinical Procedural Workshops*|
|Friday, October 6, 2017|
|Friday, October 6, 2017 : 7:00 - 8:00 a.m.||Breakfast Provided|
|Friday, October 6, 2017 : 8:00 a.m. - 12:15 p.m.||General Sessions|
|Friday, October 6, 2017 : 12:15 - 1:45 p.m.||Lunch on Your Own|
|Friday, October 6, 2017 : 1:45 - 4:45 p.m.||Clinical Procedural Workshops*|
|Saturday, October 7, 2017|
|Saturday, October 7, 2017 : 7:00 - 8:00 a.m.||Breakfast Provided|
|Saturday, October 7, 2017 : 8:00 a.m. - 12:15 p.m.||General Sessions|
|Saturday, October 7, 2017 : 12:15 p.m.||Course Adjourn|
*Separate registration and fee required.
Note: Times are subject to change.
How to Add Clinical Procedural Workshops
Separate registration and fee required to attend a clinical procedural workshop. Seats are limited and are only available to course registrants. Select a workshop during online registration.
If you have already registered for the course, please call AAFP at (800) 274-2237 to register for a clinical procedural workshop.
(#101) Thursday, October 5, 2017, 1:45 - 4:45 p.m. or
(#103) Friday, October 6, 2017, 1:45 - 4:45 p.m.
- Discuss the diagnostic and therapeutic rationale for joint injections being performed.
- Explain the risks and benefits of joint injections.
- Describe appropriate equipment/supplies for performing joint injections.
- Using models, perform joint injections.
(#102) Thursday, October 5, 2017, 1:45 - 4:45 p.m. or
(#104) Friday, October 6, 2017, 1:45 - 4:45 p.m.
- Identify the key components of the definition, spirit, and focus of motivational interviewing.
- Describe the skills used to facilitate behavior change through conversation.
- Utilize one strategy for enhancing motivation with patients.
- Role play with other participants to practice techniques discussed.
Registration includes online access to the syllabus and other on-site resources one week before the course. A hard copy of the syllabus may be purchased for $60 when registering for the course. A limited number of syllabuses will be available for purchase on site. Additional information will be provided by email after you register.
The following hotel is available for accommodations during this course. Contact the hotel to make arrangements for your stay.
Myrtle Beach Marriott Resort & Spa at Grande Dunes(www.marriott.com)
8400 Costa Verde Drive
Myrtle Beach, SC 29572
Phone: (800) 228-9290
Rate: $164 Single/Double Occupancy
+ $10 Daily Resort Fee
+ current tax rate
Accommodation Cutoff -- September 6, 2017
Note: A limited number of rooms at the discounted group rate are available for conference registrants on a first-come, first-served basis, and cannot be guaranteed by the AAFP.
About Hotel Reservations
- Reservations made after September 6, 2017, will be confirmed on a rate and space available basis. The conference rate is not guaranteed for reservations made after this date.
- Myrtle Beach Marriott Resort & Spa at Grande Dunes guarantees reservation by credit card. Card cards will not be charged prior to the scheduled arrival date.
- Reservations may be cancelled without charge up to 24 hours prior to arrival date.
This live activity, Geriatric Medicine, with a beginning date of October 4, 2017, has been reviewed and is acceptable for up to 25 Prescribed credits by the American Academy of Family Physicians. Physicians should claim only the credit commensurate with the extent of their participation in the activity.
The AAFP is accredited by the Accreditation Council for Continuing Medical Education (ACCME) to provide continuing medical education for physicians.
The American Academy of Family Physicians designates this live activity for a maximum of 25 AMA PRA Category 1 CreditsTM. Physicians should claim only the credit commensurate with the extent of their participation in the activity.
CME activities approved for AAFP credit are recognized by the AOA as equivalent to AOA Category 2 credit.
View more credit agreements »