AAFP Credit System FAQ
Questions After Completing an Application
At times, the AAFP Credit System needs additional information on specific CME applications in order to better-understand content or ensure that the content in question aligns with the AAFP Credit System’s Eligibility Requirements. These requests may focus on learning objectives, slide decks (a copy of the presentation that is planned for a live event), a session overview description, a connection to patient care, etc.
Please know these requests are part of our standard process and do not indicate that content is not eligible for credit. As always, we strongly encourage you to use the eligibility requirements as a guide when creating CME. Additionally, it is a good resource if you’re unsure if your activity is eligible for CME credit through the AAFP Credit System.
There are three different options available to CME providers if one of their CME sessions or activities is denied:
- The CME provider can move forward with the education without offering AAFP credit for that CME session/activity.
- The CME provider can appeal the credit determination.
- CME provider can revise the content to meet our eligibility requirements to make it eligible. Note, this option is only available if the activity/session has not occurred. This type of change would constitute a re-review fee of $125.
The AAFP Credit System asked me for additional information (e.g. learning objectives, slides, etc.) for a CME session, but I don’t have that information available. What do I do?
You have a few options in this scenario.
- We can put the overall review on hold until you receive the additional information. Once you receive the information, send it to us so that we can continue with the review of the CME activity.
- We can continue with the review without receiving the additional information and make a credit determination based off of the information we currently have available.
- You can voluntarily withdraw that particular CME session within your activity and we can finalize the review without awarding credit to that session. However, you still have the option to send in the requested additional information for that session after the activity has been approved. You would request a re-review via email at email@example.com, or by phone call, and send in the additional information for the session in question. After that, you’d call in to pay a re-review fee of $125. We’d then review the additional information and determine if we can award credit to that session. If we can, then we’d send an updated approval letter and credit statement, if the credit amount has changed.
Please note that if additional information is requested we send reminders every 30, 60 and 90 days. We will automatically cancel the application review if we don’t hear from the CME provider in 90 days.
After an activity receives official AAFP credit approval, "Save the Date" announcements and advertisements may indicate that the activity was approved for AAFP credit without using the full, official AAFP credit statement. Advertising options are listed below.
- Apply for AAFP CME Credit through the AAFP Credit System. If your activity is awarded AAFP CME credit, it will be listed in the CME search page on AAFP.org for our more than 136,700 members to view. In a 2018 survey, 80% of members surveyed responded that this is the #1 search tool they use to find CME.
- Satellite CME Symposium at the Family Medicine Experience (FMX): Access the online media kit to maximize your investment, increase brand visibility and drive attendees to your event with these high-yield sponsorship and advertising opportunities.
- AAFP Mailing List:(www.infocusmarketing.com) You may purchase access to the AAFP member mailing lists for advertising purposes.
- AFP Journal Advertisement: You have the option to pay to advertise in the AFP Journal. Please contact Nicole Tate at firstname.lastname@example.org with questions.
Family physicians or others seeking CME credit activities can search our CME search page. You have the option to allow your activity to be visible on our webpage, a free service, which allow our more than 136,700 members to view it when searching for activities to attend. Your marketing description of the activity that is included in the application for AAFP CME credit will be listed on the website and can impact how learners are able to find it. View additional advertising opportunities.