METRIC® | A Performance Improvement Activities Solution
METRIC for Residency Programs
Meet ACGME Requirements with METRIC
METRIC offers residents and faculty a structured, valuable way to participate in and document the ACGME competency in practice-based learning and improvement. In addition, participating faculty members may earn 20 AAFP Prescribed credits and satisfy the ABFM's Performance Improvement Activities requirement.
Using METRIC, your program will benefit from:
- A systematic, linear approach and resources to help you achieve your goals efficiently and effectively
- Cohesive, relevant, national clinical measure to evaluate performance, both individually and as a team
- National performance comparisons to help identify improvement opportunities
- Customized data reports, baseline and follow up (Additional fees may apply.)
- Standard tracking for project leaders, including participant progress and dated milestones to help you stay on track
Create a METRIC Learning Experience for Your Residency Program
Build Your Project Group
- You can form a METRIC project group with as few as three participants.
- Physicians, residents, nurse practitioners, and physician assistants can all benefit from participating.
- To establish an AAFP account ID, and/or become a member, call the AAFP at (800) 274-2237. A current AAFP membership is required to avoid being charged nonmember pricing.
Note: Only one AAFP nonmember faculty for every ten (10) residents will be at no charge. Additional nonmember faculty will be charged $125. All nonmember residents will be charged $125.
Select Your Module(s)
Your program may choose to complete one module together, or complete multiple modules in smaller sub-teams. For example, a project group with 12 participants could decide to have three sub-teams of four complete three different modules, or sub-teams of four complete three different modules. Individual physicians may also choose an intervention to complete alone and still remain a part of the group.
The Diabetes and Geriatric METRIC modules will be discontinued September 10, 2018;
access to the module and CME credit reporting ends December 12, 2018.
Eighty-eight percent of people older than 65 years of age have at least one chronic health condition. Improve the health of your geriatric patients and your practice through this module.
Set Your Scope
While METRIC modules only require 10-15 patient charts per module, each participant may enter up to 50 patient charts during the baseline assessment (Stage A) and another 50 patient charts during the reassessment (Stage C) for a total of up to 100 patient charts.
Faculty members who desire to apply the CME credit earned through METRIC to their Performance Improvement Activities requirement must enter at least ten charts, regardless of the residency program minimum.
Choose Your Reports
Faculty or quality improvement initiative leaders can easily monitor the progress of the group in accomplishing each step in the program through standard tracking reports.
Standard Tracking Reports
The standard group tracking report is a list of all physicians in the group along with a date stamp of each step in the METRIC module they completed, including:
- Registration date
- First date that the participant accessed the METRIC module
- Start and end dates of the baseline chart review
- First action plan submission
- Anticipated re-start date (after required 1-month period of the action plan)
- Actual re-start date
- Start and end dates of the follow-up chart review
- Submission of the final plan
- Completion of the METRIC module
Customized Group Reporting
Custom group reports list each participant of the residency program project group and the stage of the METRIC module each participant has completed may be provided upon request. For additional report options, contact the METRIC staff by email at email@example.com or by calling (800) 274-2237 x6553.
Get the Documentation Needed for the ACGME
Residents can provide documentation demonstrating their development of the ACGME competency in practice-based learning and improvement by printing each step of the METRIC program, including baseline and follow up practice assessment questionnaire responses, performance measure results and their action plan.
Please note: At this time, raw data from the METRIC online program is not able to be downloaded electronically for file storage outside of the online METRIC tool.