Care of Patients at the End of Life
Edition #447 | August 2016
FP Essentials is a monthly subscription containing authoritative, unbiased, and peer-reviewed clinical information—without any advertisements.
Purchase this individual edition for online access to its content, and earn up to 5 CME credits upon completion of the quiz. Online access for this edition available until August 2018.
In This Edition
- Prescribe opioid therapy using appropriate drugs in appropriate dosages to manage pain in patients at the end of life.
- Determine the correct opioid regimen for a patient transitioning from oral to parenteral administration using correct dosage conversions.
- Prescribe treatments for constipation in patients at the end of life.
- Prescribe treatments for dyspnea in patients at the end of life.
- Initiate discussions about advance care planning with all patients.
- Counsel patients with dementia and/or their family members that providing artificial nutrition via feeding tubes offers no benefit and can cause discomfort for patients.
- Describe the difference between competence and medical decision-making capacity.
- Conduct a family meeting with the family members of a patient at the end of life.
Approved for 5 AAFP Prescribed credits.
Purchase This Edition
Online access only
#447: Care of Patients at the End of Life
CME credit approved through August 31, 2018
Take the Quiz for CME Credit
Read It Online Now
Content accessible after purchase.