Psychotic and Bipolar Disorders
Edition #455 | April 2017
FP Essentials is a monthly subscription containing authoritative, unbiased, and peer-reviewed clinical information—without any advertisements.
Purchase this individual edition for online access to its content, and earn up to 5 CME credits upon completion of the quiz. Online access for this edition available until April 2019.
In This Edition
- Assess patients who present with an apparent first psychotic episode by seeking etiologies of symptoms and address any significant comorbid medical illnesses.
- In collaboration with a mental health subspecialist, coordinate care for patients with schizophrenia, including management of comorbid conditions and risk factors.
- Prescribe evidence-based treatments for patients with dementia, with the goal of reducing targeted behaviors.
- Review the evidence for not prescribing sedative and hypnotic drugs for elderly patients with a history of dementia who present with neuropsychiatric symptoms of psychosis.
- Coordinate ongoing care for patients taking antipsychotic drugs and monitor for potential adverse effects.
- Identify potential drug interactions when prescribing drugs for patients taking antipsychotic drugs.
- Describe screening for bipolar disorder when patients present with depression.
- Describe prevention and management of comorbidities in patients with bipolar disorder, including substance use, metabolic syndrome, and cardiovascular disease.
Approved for 5 AAFP Prescribed credits. Credit valid through April 30, 2019.
Purchase This Edition
Online access only
#455: Psychotic and Bipolar Disorders
CME credit approved through April 30, 2019
Take the Quiz for CME Credit
Read It Online Now
Content accessible after purchase.