Edition #460 | September 2017
FP Essentials is a monthly subscription containing authoritative, unbiased, and peer-reviewed clinical information—without any advertisements.
Purchase this individual edition for online access to its content, and earn up to 5 CME credits upon completion of the quiz. Online access for this edition available until September 2019.
In This Edition
- Recognize which patients are at risk for sleep-disordered breathing and obtain the appropriate type of sleep testing for them.
- Advise patients about the advantages and disadvantages of the various options for managing obstructive sleep apnea, including positive airway pressure and mandibular advancement devices.
- Apply the criteria from the International Classification of Sleep Disorders—Third Edition (ICSD-3), to diagnose chronic insomnia disorder.
- Recommend cognitive behavioral therapy for insomnia (CBT-I) and brief behavioral treatment for insomnia (BBTI) as first-line treatments for insomnia disorders.
- Test for iron deficiency anemia in patients with restless legs syndrome (RLS) and prescribe oral iron therapy when indicated.
- Select and prescribe appropriate pharmacotherapy for patients with RLS.
- Diagnose shift work sleep disorder and instruct patients about the risk of associated medical disorders and cognitive impairment.
- Advise travelers about online calculators that can help them appropriately time their use of bright light and oral melatonin to minimize the effects of jet lag.
Approved for 5 AAFP Prescribed credits; 5 AMA PRA Category 1 Credits™. Credit valid through September 15, 2019.
Purchase This Edition
Online access only
#460: Sleep Disorders
CME credit approved through September 15, 2019
Take the Quiz for CME Credit
Read It Online Now
Content accessible after purchase of this edition, FP Essentials Subscription, or FP Essentials + FP Audio Combined Subscription.