Edition #460 | September 2017
FP Essentials is a monthly subscription containing authoritative, unbiased, and peer-reviewed clinical information—without any advertisements.
Purchase this individual edition for online access to its content, and earn up to 5 CME credits upon completion of the quiz. Online access for this edition available until September 2019.
In This Edition
- Recognize which patients are at risk for sleep-disordered breathing and obtain the appropriate type of sleep testing for them.
- Advise patients about the advantages and disadvantages of the various options for managing obstructive sleep apnea, including positive airway pressure and mandibular advancement devices.
- Apply the criteria from the International Classification of Sleep Disorders—Third Edition (ICSD-3), to diagnose chronic insomnia disorder.
- Recommend cognitive behavioral therapy for insomnia (CBT-I) and brief behavioral treatment for insomnia (BBTI) as first-line treatments for insomnia disorders.
- Test for iron deficiency anemia in patients with restless legs syndrome (RLS) and prescribe oral iron therapy when indicated.
- Select and prescribe appropriate pharmacotherapy for patients with RLS.
- Diagnose shift work sleep disorder and instruct patients about the risk of associated medical disorders and cognitive impairment.
- Advise travelers about online calculators that can help them appropriately time their use of bright light and oral melatonin to minimize the effects of jet lag.
Approved for 5 AAFP Prescribed credits. Credit valid through September 15, 2019.
Purchase This Edition
Online access only
#460: Sleep Disorders
CME credit approved through September 15, 2019
Take the Quiz for CME Credit
Read It Online Now
Content accessible after purchase.