Edition #462 | November 2017
FP Essentials is a monthly subscription containing authoritative, unbiased, and peer-reviewed clinical information—without any advertisements.
Purchase this individual edition for online access to its content, and earn up to 5 CME credits upon completion of the quiz. Online access for this edition available until November 2019.
In This Edition
- Integrate the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention U.S. Medical Eligibility Criteria for Contraceptive Use guidelines into daily practice.
- Counsel patients about contraception needs based on patient preferences and family planning intentions.
- Describe the different types of combined oral contraceptives and their clinical benefits and potential risks.
- Describe the effectiveness of and indications and contraindications for use of intrauterine devices.
- Counsel patients about the most common adverse effects of intrauterine device use.
- Describe the indications and contraindications for use of etonogestrel implants.
- Counsel patients about the most common adverse effects of implant use.
- Summarize the evidence supporting the Food and Drug Administration black box warning regarding long-term depot medroxyprogesterone acetate use and bone mineral density.
- Counsel patients about available methods of permanent sterilization.
- Describe the procedures for the different methods of permanent sterilization.
Approved for 5 AAFP Prescribed credits; 5 AMA PRA Category 1 Credits™. Credit valid through November 14, 2019.
Purchase This Edition
Online access only
#462: Contraception Update
CME credit approved through November 14, 2019
Take the Quiz for CME Credit
Read It Online Now
Content accessible after purchase of this edition, FP Essentials Subscription, or FP Essentials + FP Audio Combined Subscription.