Edition #462 | November 2017
FP Essentials is a monthly subscription containing authoritative, unbiased, and peer-reviewed clinical information—without any advertisements.
Purchase this individual edition for online access to its content, and earn up to 5 CME credits upon completion of the quiz. Online access for this edition available until November 2019.
In This Edition
- Integrate the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention U.S. Medical Eligibility Criteria for Contraceptive Use guidelines into daily practice.
- Counsel patients about contraception needs based on patient preferences and family planning intentions.
- Describe the different types of combined oral contraceptives and their clinical benefits and potential risks.
- Describe the effectiveness of and indications and contraindications for use of intrauterine devices.
- Counsel patients about the most common adverse effects of intrauterine device use.
- Describe the indications and contraindications for use of etonogestrel implants.
- Counsel patients about the most common adverse effects of implant use.
- Summarize the evidence supporting the Food and Drug Administration black box warning regarding long-term depot medroxyprogesterone acetate use and bone mineral density.
- Counsel patients about available methods of permanent sterilization.
- Describe the procedures for the different methods of permanent sterilization.
Approved for 5 AAFP Prescribed credits. Credit valid through November 14, 2019.
Purchase This Edition
Online access only
#462: Contraception Update
CME credit approved through November 14, 2019
Take the Quiz for CME Credit
Read It Online Now
Content accessible after purchase.