Edition #470 | July 2018
FP Essentials is a monthly subscription containing authoritative, unbiased, and peer-reviewed clinical information—without any advertisements.
Purchase this individual edition for online access to its content, and earn up to 5 CME credits upon completion of the quiz. Online access for this edition available until July 2020.
In This Edition
- Explain the differences between direct and indirect osteopathic manipulative treatment (OMT) techniques and the usefulness of OMT in low back and neck pain management.
- Summarize the adverse effects associated with and contraindications to OMT.
- Describe the adjunctive physical modalities of iontophoresis, phonophoresis, kinesiology tape, laser therapy, and myofascial release.
- Summarize the conditions for which the adjunctive physical therapy modalities might be of benefit.
- Describe the uses of the following injection therapies for joint conditions and tendinopathies that are supported by data: corticosteroids, hyaluronic acid, hypertonic dextrose prolotherapy, platelet-rich plasma, and mesenchymal stem cells.
- Summarize the potential complications associated with each of these injection therapies.
- Describe acupuncture, dry needling, and cupping techniques and proposed mechanisms of action.
- List the conditions for which these techniques may be useful, based on current evidence.
Approved for 5 AAFP Prescribed credits. Credit valid through July 14, 2020.
Purchase This Edition
Online access only
#470: Musculoskeletal Therapies
CME credit approved through July 14, 2020
Take the Quiz for CME Credit
Read It Online Now
Content accessible after purchase.